What is a Miss Francis light?

I was reading an article by Stephen H. Burum, ASC and he mentions a lighting instrument called the "Miss Francis." Does anyone know what he is referring to?

And how would you create one with normal studio equipment?

Thanks

RS

Here's the paragraph where he talks about it....

"What about fluorescent, HMI?s, ellipsoidal, plano convex spots, far cycs, space lights, coops, dinos, maxis, sky pans, minis, quadlights, cliplights, gators, bo bo lights, scoops, cones, obie lights, the ?Miss Francis?...? The effects these lights give can be easily reproduced with a combination or modification of the units (mentioned in the rest of the article)...."

• Premium Member

A "Miss Francis" is new to me. I did a lot of googling and only got obituaries and the like. I'm stumped. Perhaps you could track down Mr Burum's e-mail address through the ASC or an agent.

• Premium Member
I seem to remember that this was an on camera (obie) light and that Ms. Francis was some actress who for whatever reason demanded the use of it. But I might be confusing the term with something else. lol

That would make sense. I'm surprised I've never heard the name before.

• 1 year later...

Wow, my first post. I believe that "miss francis" may be a misprint. I believe it's a "mcfrancis" and it's a snoot that you put on the front of a 1k or 2k zip. Usually about 12 to 18 inches long. Sometimes they have a slot part way to add a second diffusion. It was an early attempt at directing diffused light. Some people still use them. I prefer to double up on the crate.

• Premium Member
Wow, my first post. I believe that "miss francis" may be a misprint. I believe it's a "mcfrancis" and it's a snoot that you put on the front of a 1k or 2k zip. Usually about 12 to 18 inches long. Sometimes they have a slot part way to add a second diffusion. It was an early attempt at directing diffused light. Some people still use them. I prefer to double up on the crate.

I remember Michael Chapman talking about using something like that on "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"... also the Cronecone, which is sort of a Chimera-like box on the end of a 5K or 10K.

By the way, for everyone else, John Dekker is one of the best Gaffers out there!