Can't get my second XLR socket to work???

James Briggs

Hi everyone

Recently I just brought a second rode mic to use but when I started using it I couldn?t get its levels up. Later it just stopped working all together. I checked whether it was the mic or lead but their both fine and now I can?t get nothing from the second XLR socket. Pretty sure I?ve tried every kind of setting and have spent ages adjusting all the sound options.

I think my the second XL2 cable is just a dud but is there some stupid thing I might have missed?

I really don?t think I could stand sending off my XL2 again to be fixed with another fault.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help or has any suggestions, even if it's just confirming that I probably have to start getting the thing ready to send off again. Considering that it was the headphone socket that had to be fixed the first time it could obviously be from that.

"A second rode mic"? Does that mean that you are recording with two external mics? Plus the onboard mic? What combination? Makes all the difference, and yes, they can drive you nuts. Sounds like it might be a channel selection problem. Read pages 51 & 52 of the Canon Manual. Maybe the discussion below can shed some light.

Let us know how it works out.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?...ight=xlr+inputs

• Premium Member
..........Considering that it was the headphone socket that had to be fixed the first time it could obviously be from that........

Hi James, I recommend using a right angle Headphone adapter and then plugging your headphone into that.

The right angle allows the connector to swivel and blunts and accidental force that happens every time something bumps into the standard head phone connector.

Sorry for the late reply I was away doing a job.

Hi Jack, no I'm not using the canon mic as-well so just the two Rode mics from the back. I've gone through the manual and so sure I put it to the right settings they said on the pages you outlined. And then I just tried every other sort of mic select I could think of. Really doing my head in.

The mic and cables are fine. I'm going to have another mess around with it tonight.

Thanks for that extra bit of info Alessandro Machi, probably going to go with that.

So don't hope I have to send this thing off again but now I'm stuck with an extra rode mic otherwise.

Edited by James Briggs