Panastar II trouble

nathan snyder

A couple of days ago I was on a commercial shoot where a Panastar II was being used. It was an outdoor shoot, at a baseball stadium, and in the middle of the day the heat reach over 100degrees. Early in the morning the camera was running at 100 to 120 fps for product shots. Later in the day the camera was slowed down to 80 and 60fps for some crowd shot. About the middle of the day the camera compartment started filling with film as the magazine was not taking up. Magazines were swapped out (five total) but they all did the same thing. Then the boards were all changed in the camera. But still, the same thing. Eventually, the film would not take-up at all and since we sere shooting Boise, there was no way to get another camera body. In the end when they were ready to give up I suggested that they let me try to turn the take-up hub by hand. They thought I was nuts, but it worked, as by this time they were willing to shoot at 24fps, and they got the last three shots so they could finish the commercial. The only problem I had was not hinder the cameras movment, as I had to push hard to engage the hub by hand.

My question is- how does the take-up end of the panastar mag work? Is there a motor in each mag, or is there a gear assembly that drives the mage from the cameras motor? And if the later is the case how could the take-up not work when the movement and the shutter were working? Or what could have caused this problem?

Attached is a pic of me hand turning the take-up:

post-9203-1184176755_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

There are motors I believe. Did you try cleaning the contacts on the mag port that power and control the motors in the mag?

Also, it doesn't sound like it had anything to do with this, but that camera needs to be lubricated at high frame rates very often, I think every few thousand feet of film.

Kevin Zanit

John, I am sure you are right, but I was technically not part of the camera crew, I was only the crane operator on this shoot, and while I am sure that the DoP or the 1st AC will take the issue up with Panavision I kind of wanted to find out for my self and I did not feel that I had any business just calling up Panavision and asking what the deal is.

Kevin, When my duties with the crane were over and I could get closer to the camera I did make the suggestion of cleaning the mag contacts with contact cleaner. The 1st AC said that he had already tried that. I also watched the 1st AC lube the camera with the little bottle of Panavision oil.

Thanks for you suggestion though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
There are motors I believe. Did you try cleaning the contacts on the mag port that power and control the motors in the mag?

Also, it doesn't sound like it had anything to do with this, but that camera needs to be lubricated at high frame rates very often, I think every few thousand feet of film.

Kevin Zanit

Spot on.