casting my film is going nowhere

Niki Mundo

I'm expressing disappointment . After working for more than six weeks, posting numerous local internet ads, approaching people at artist's functions and even on the street I have had a grand total of (8) people who've showned up for my numerous auditions out of 79 emails of interest. Nobody showed for today's audition. The casting of the film is going wrong and I'm not sure how to get actual actors to show up. Is it the pay? It's being shot on the best format (35mm), with going to be great- production values.

I can't pay people but that's all about being young and paying your dues.

Why am I having diffuclty getting people to show up?

I live in Seattle and I don't have poop.

Niki Mundo

I'm expressing disappointment . After working for more than six weeks, posting numerous local i I have had a grand total of (8) people who've showned up for my numerous auditions out of 79 emails of interest. Nobody showed for today's audition. The casting of the film is going wrong and I'm not sure how to get actual actors to show up. Is it the pay? It's being shot on the best format (35mm), with going to be great- production values.

I can't pay people but that's all about being young and paying your dues.

Why am I having diffuclty getting people to show up?

I live in Seattle and I don't have poop.

Niki Mundo

Internet ads, Emails, approaching people at artist's functions and on the street? No wonder you got a total of 8 folks to choose from. Whatdaya go elk hunting at Home Depot as well? If you're looking for actors, you'll probably want to go where they keep the actors. Put an announcement in the paper's entertainment section, tell 'em this is a student film and they may not charge you, if they do charge you, bite the bullet and put it in anyway. Also go to community theaters, plays, university drama departments, high school drama teachers, and THEN go through the script and see if you can pare the cast down (by combining characters, deleting extraneous scenes, changing scene locations, ect,) to between 2 and 4 leads and a few day players or better yet NO day players just nondescript extras that can be the general public who happen to be at the locations you use (just put up a sign saying if you're in the area, you're in the movie) because if you get 100 people showing up maybe 3 of them will actually have any talent and THOSE are the guys you give the leads to.

One other thing, PAY your damn cast and crew, even if it's only gas money. It builds a sense of professionalism and if your shooting 35 , you can afford to at least do that, if not, shoot 16 and give the rest of the cash to your people. Also FEED THEM, I don't care if it's sandwiches and coffee it's a sign of respect. Cassevettes made his company pasta and sat with them at lunch like one big happy family. Lunches became a party and everyone stayed happy. A happy set is a good set ESPECIALLY if you have no money because people have to have a reason to want to be there. If you can't afford to do these small things, raise some more cash because otherwise it's gonna come back and bite you in the ass :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Thanks for the advice Mr. Beverly. It's complicated though. It's a BIG film, the mother of all no-budgeters- Spiderman3 on twenty bucks, and it can be done, people need to have faith in me and think outside of the bun. Should I shop my script? Nope, I wanna do this one myself and it'll be a hit.The problem lies within the seattle actor community. That community is AWOL. I posted ads on actors boards,indie film boards and community college theater boards. Nothing much happened. I avoid H.S. because really-what am I going to get there? I barely tackled people on the street and they swore they'd contact me- told me they wanted to join..

Pay people, I'd love to, but NOT THIS TIME. I'm not paying some so-so bard $50 a day to wreck my film. I'm not bitter or disallusioned. I'm a realist. I want a career and not some joke of film with "film student" production values. The script is tight and actors who showed don't even read it- they flip through it.

All 8 actors that is..

I think I should come to L.A. and shoot it there. What say you?

Two years ago I shot a movie in Bainbridge Island. I found Seattle actors (and crew) to be very professional. We didn't use the internet, we used two casting agencies. It cost us a little money (surprisingly cheap) and was well worth it.

The Seattle acting community is, in my experience, very good. But since you can't pay anything that might be why you're having difficulty. I'm not sure you'll find it too much different here in L.A. Sure, actors are willing to work for free for the right project, but even here you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the advice Mr. Carter. I know it's my fault. But I know it's more the "actors" fault than mine.

I'm indie grime. Bottom dweller. Not some c*nt-

L.A. actors are numerous.. lots of hungry thespians.

Or NYC???

• Premium Member
Thanks for the advice Mr. Carter. I know it's my fault. But I know it's more the "actors" fault than mine.

How is it the actors fault? People need to make a living. If you don't want to pay for good actors you're not going to get any. You pay for what you get, whether you get it for free or not.

Have you considered that once you get a cast together you're going to have a tough time finding a decent crew for free? I think you're expecting too much for what you're offering.

Thanks for the advice Mr.Grimmett, what I'm offering is the next generation. Some times people need to go outside the "mainstream". It's hard to understand.

Hard up for a crew? Worse than getting actors. I've had (2) crew email interest here in sea-town. Depressing enough for you. It is for me.

What's it like for the no-budget filmmaker in L.A.??

Thanks for the advice Mr. Beverly. It's complicated though. It's a BIG film, the mother of all no-budgeters- Spiderman3 on twenty bucks, and it can be done, people need to have faith in me and think outside of the bun. Should I shop my script? Nope, I wanna do this one myself and it'll be a hit.The problem lies within the seattle actor community. That community is AWOL. I posted ads on actors boards,indie film boards and community college theater boards. Nothing much happened. I avoid H.S. because really-what am I going to get there? I barely tackled people on the street and they swore they'd contact me- told me they wanted to join..

Pay people, I'd love to, but NOT THIS TIME. I'm not paying some so-so bard $50 a day to wreck my film. I'm not bitter or disallusioned. I'm a realist. I want a career and not some joke of film with "film student" production values. The script is tight and actors who showed don't even read it- they flip through it.

All 8 actors that is..

I think I should come to L.A. and shoot it there. What say you?

Spiderman3 on twenty bucks? GOOOOOOOD LUCK!!! You're gonna need it. Let me give you you some advice about "BiG" film on no money for what it's worth....and we are talkin NO money, not underfunded, you have have about as much chance of makin it fly as you would strapping a set of wings off a Piper Cub to a freight train and getting that to take to the air, now I know you don't wanna hear this, and you think I'm a son of a bitch cause I'm takin a wiz on your parade and all, but if you're serious about becoming a filmmaker, do something you can do well and the "Mother of all No-budgeters" ain't it or have you forgotten what happened to Saddam after he uttered those prophetic lines?

You say you don't want it to have "student film production value" so you're what? Planning to shooting Lawrence of Arabia with an Arri 2 and and all volunteer cast and crew? Exactly what kinda production value do you think you're gonna get here and how long do you expect these cult followers to work 16 hour days on this epic of yours while paying for their own gas to get the 10 or 20 miles to where you're shooting all the while carrying their brown bag lunch from home? My advice to you is put this leviathan back on your bookshelf and write a good little film with strong characters and plot, 90 pages long and that you already have the resources to accomplish. In other words, film that you actually have a snowballs chance in Hell of doing right, THEN when someone with some cash sees THAT film and asks you what you want to do next, pull out this brilliant script of yours and say "Here, read this!" NOW after having said all this, I know you're gonna blow me off, call me an a**hole for basically being straight up with you, give me 27 different reasons why your the exception and I don't know what I'm talking about and how dare I impugn your abilities....but you will discover you are NOT the exception and after your been bashing your head against the steel clad concrete wall for a year or so, you'll look out though the blood dripping into your eyes from the gash in your head and come to realize I actually do know what I'm talking about and start working on the smaller "Kid sister of No-budgeters" script. OR you'll quit because you'll decide it's not worth all the pain. You're setting yourself up to lose, so DON'T! Get a reality checkup and re-position yourself to have the best chance possible of succeeding because there are MORE than enough things out there working against you, don't let yourself be one of them. As I said, for what it's worth. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Because it's a "message film".Time isn't on my side and neither is America. This film is an Anti-American film and it's commerical. Get it now? I understand the piper cub frieght train thing but so what?

It can't be done It can be done. You gotta have faith. Think the matrix, think Indiana3.

The pendant man, only the pendant man can cross..

Edited by Niki Mundo

• Premium Member
Should I shop my script? Nope, I wanna do this one myself and it'll be a hit.The problem lies within the seattle actor community.

Even if your script is only half as great as you think it is (it's the mother of all threequels, right?) then you shouldn't have a problem finding good actors. Or a good casting director who will find you good actors. Who doesn't want to be associated with a surefire hit, right?

Although I were you I'd first shop the script around, in order to get some professional feedback. It'll give you an idea how good it really is.

yeah you're right.."Penitent man"

Thanks Ms.Jacoby..I'm afraid of "professional feedback" on my film. I understand the industry is about relationships and I'm absolutely pro-relationship(s). I want to cooperate!

hey I get it, I do.. no-budget films such as clerks or el mariachi or even Pi are fun. Fun like as some kitschi pop-culture novelty deal. WOW! some one made a film and hollywood deems it worthy.

But I'm talking about something big. Like Aliens only on about $12,000 only better. Can you imagine that?

Because it's a "message film".Time isn't on my side and neither is America. This film is an Anti-American film and it's commerical. Get it now? I understand the piper cub frieght train thing but so what?

It can't be done It can be done. You gotta have faith. Think the matrix, think Indiana3.

The pendant man, only the pendant man can cross..

Get what? Get that you want to do anti-American film IN America and you think every American should drop to his or her knees and beg you to work for free on of this monumental anti-American film because you're such a genius and you expect this "masterpiece" to be a box office record breaking commercial juggernaut that can't be stopped...IN AMERICA? THIS is your dream? Dude, how long have you been in this country, do you understand anything at all about us and our culture? Have faith? Have faith in WHAT some half baked, cockamamie scheme to make a hundred million dollar movie with 3 grand that sounds like it would offend 99% of the people in our nation? The difference between your film and the Matrix is that the Matrix had the hundred million bucks and a decent concept to work with. So what? So I'll tell you what. You go ahead pop rivet those Piper Cub wings to that Alco diesel and run that freight train of yours it off the edge of some cliff, it'll fare just about as well as this movie idea of yours and BTW and what the Hell does "The pendant man, only the pendant man can cross..." mean?

OK. Imagine me taking 18-24 months -I'm crazy maticulate bout the effects.Effects are in the no budgeters range now-like the IED. I starve the cast like Scott did to Ford in BladeRunner and I motivate them by the dallies and I drive them to there "breaking" ala the chick from Blair Witch Project..

PTW- How would the "Blair Witch Project" score on the "professional feedback"..

• Premium Member

Please try and gather your thoughts into one post rather than a sequence of three.

I think the general consensus here is to just drop the ego a bit, step back and be realistic about your piece and take in what other professionals here are advising.

I don't really want to address your posts, as I can barely make sense of them to be honest, but plenty of "un-American" films have made money, hell Max is giving you advice and he isn't American, so I am sure he can be objective(ish).

If it weren't for 2/3rds of the other mods participating in this thread I would have closed it by now ;)

On second thought, closed . . . this topic is definitely not going in a good useful direction.