Uprez HVX200 footage for fest submissions?

David Schmüdde

Hey everybody. I shot a movie on a HVX200 at 24p recently and I'd like to submit it to various film festivals. However, I'm a little confused on the submission guidelines.

For many fests it seems like I need submit on HDCam or Digibeta. First off, having shot HD, which format should I choose? Seems like Digibeta specs can be inline with my HVX specs. However, maybe I need to upres HDCam for submissions to make sure it blows up correctly.

I obviously a bit confused. Any advice? If I print to tape, I'm not quite sure what I should do or how much I should pay. :-/

Thanks,

Schmüdde

www.iamconcrete.com

Hey everybody. I shot a movie on a HVX200 at 24p recently and I'd like to submit it to various film festivals. However, I'm a little confused on the submission guidelines.

For many fests it seems like I need submit on HDCam or Digibeta. First off, having shot HD, which format should I choose? Seems like Digibeta specs can be inline with my HVX specs. However, maybe I need to upres HDCam for submissions to make sure it blows up correctly.

I obviously a bit confused. Any advice? If I print to tape, I'm not quite sure what I should do or how much I should pay. :-/

Thanks,

Schmüdde

www.iamconcrete.com

Almost all festivals will expect you to submit on dvd or vhs. If you are selected then they might screen off hdcam but in my experience very few do and if money is an issue then at this point far more festivals offer digibeta or beta sp internationally. There are exceptions.

Some festivals will allow you to submit on 35mm and 99% of festivals screen 35mm prints. If money is less of an issue then it might be worth getting that hdcam dub made but otherwise just wait to get in to something and see what they require. Hope this helps.

Sasha

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm working out a budget right now (how many DVDs I can afford to produce etc...) and I was looking at submissions and needing to transfer to tape was a concern for me. If it is something I can hold off on until a fest requires it, it gives me a bit more flexibility.

Thanks again,

Schmüdde

www.iamconcrete.com

Almost all festivals will expect you to submit on dvd or vhs. If you are selected then they might screen off hdcam but in my experience very few do and if money is an issue then at this point far more festivals offer digibeta or beta sp internationally. There are exceptions.

Some festivals will allow you to submit on 35mm and 99% of festivals screen 35mm prints. If money is less of an issue then it might be worth getting that hdcam dub made but otherwise just wait to get in to something and see what they require. Hope this helps.

Sasha