Use my still camera to meter for Super8?

Taylor Greathead

Hi,

I've got a Yashica 600 Electro Super 8 camera that I'm using and I'd like to know if I can use the meter in my still camera to get accurate readings. I don't know (and can't find) the shutter angle of the camera. Can I still use the ASA (40) and the frame rate (24) to figure it out?

Thanks,

--Taylor

I've got a Yashica 600 Electro Super 8 camera that I'm using and I'd like to know if I can use the meter in my still camera to get accurate readings. I don't know (and can't find) the shutter angle of the camera. Can I still use the ASA (40) and the frame rate (24) to figure it out?

Yes. Plug in that ASA (ISO) rating and assume that the camera has something close to a 180 degree shutter, which means that ideally you'd set your still camera to 1/48th of a second for 24 frames. Your still camera will likely not have this setting, but will have 1/60th, which is close enough and protects you should the shutter be a little larger than 180 degrees.

You also have to factor in light loss caused by the S8 camera's beam splitter.

Could be 1/2 stop at least I bet - it's been a LONG time since I shot S8, and forget what that loss was on my camera (Nizo, nice camera).

An actual dedicated Light meter much easier to work with, though

-Sam

It can be used as a reflective meter only though not incident...right? If so, my question would then be what degree of reflection is he getting? My Minolta spot is a 1 degree. I would assume that the still camera is governed by the aperature itself...right?

Always wondered about that.

Taggart Lee

The one degree defines the meter's angle of acceptance. There's probably a little circle in the center of your viewfinder. That's the area that is being defined by your meter or your 1 degree angle of acceptance. That is a powerful visual tool. set up a 3 point lighting on your subject and Move that circle from one side of the face to the other, there will be different readings. the relationship between key and fill is your lighting ratio. Important mood control consideration! If I've said something you already know, it was well intended. Got for it!