hi... i'm new to the film world, recently made my first documentry, got sick and tired of hiring cams. I was hoping to buy a good camcorder within about $2500. I was hoping for someone to recomend me one. Open to all ideas.

Thanx

Just a thought, but as a filmmaker wouldnt you rather have a nice SD 3 chip camera with XLR inputs, versus a HDV camera with none? I'd take a DVX100 over a HV20 any day. That's just me though. The audio you're going to pull with that HV20 is going to be crummy. And like thay say, audio is 70% of what you see. Or...something like that.

Are you shooting mostly docs? Or do you have plans for narratives in the future? Are you going to be shooting yourself, and if so what have you shot on before? Are you editing it yourself? Do you have a sd/hd preference? After looking around and zeroing in what sounds like a solution it doesn't hurt to rent it before buying it. It's also a good idea to do a search on the model on here as well as other forums/sites too.

Well this a field i have only very recently have gotten into. Me and a couple of friends have just completed our first documentary on smack(heroine) abuse amongst poverty line people in Delhi. We are all novices. We must have used about four totaly diff cameras during production, everything from a PD-170 to a Samsung(god knows what model it was). This was the ultimate poor film, must've spent like a $200 dollars in total on it. But somehow managed to end up with something more beautiful than we had ever hoped to imagine.

You say you've rented till you're tired of it. Do you have any favorites out of what you're rented?

Now the reason i have chosen the HV20 was due to the portibility factor. The camera i was most comfortable with during the production was the Pv-gs400. This was due to the portability factor, and great picture quality. Some of the places we went it would have been impossble to go in with a big cam. dropped the idea of the PD-170 after the first day of shooting, turned out to be more of a nusance for our purpose.

Are you shooting mostly docs? Or do you have plans for narratives in the future? Are you going to be shooting yourself, and if so what have you shot on before? Are you editing it yourself? Do you have a sd/hd preference? After looking around and zeroing in what sounds like a solution it doesn't hurt to rent it before buying it. It's also a good idea to do a search on the model on here as well as other forums/sites too.

Well i am mostly shooting docs, though i do plan to shoot narratives. I had hoped that an hv20 with a 35mm adapter might prove to be a great combination. no such prefrence at the moment to SD or HD, though wouldnt mind HD. yes i did edit the documentary myself, Using a combination of Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. and as for your last question, well It's impossible to rent this cam in Delhi since it isnt out. i plan for a friend of mine to bring it over from England.

thanx a lot for your suggestions people, really appreciate it.

Just a thought, but as a filmmaker wouldnt you rather have a nice SD 3 chip camera with XLR inputs, versus a HDV camera with none? I'd take a DVX100 over a HV20 any day. That's just me though. The audio you're going to pull with that HV20 is going to be crummy. And like thay say, audio is 70% of what you see. Or...something like that.

sorry i am really new to the film world and dont know wat XLR inputs are. the HV20 has a mic shoe, and something cold wind cut i believe (not to sure), to reduce unwanted noise, shouldn't that be enough?