60 Seconds to Save the Earth

NathanCoombs

Hi All

In addition to my Citizen Super-8 work I am currently doing some outreach for Current TV UK.

They have a contest running which is called 60 Seconds to Save the Earth and involves directing 15, 30 or 60 second spots about how to avert climate change. They can be humorous, deadly serious, entirely visual or presenter-led, it's complete up to you.

http://www.current.com/ecospot

The best 20 will be decided by a jury of people like George Clooney, Cameron Diaz etc. And the best 40 broadcast internationally. The winner gets a Toyota hybrid car.

These guys hired me knowing I've got a bit of a Super-8 background, so I am sure there would be no problem with film formats either!

Only UK, US or Ireland though.

Anyway send me an email to ncoombs@currentmedia.com and if you are UK based give me a call on 020 70704840

Cheers!

Nathan

You can't "avert" climate change, the climate changes naturally on it's own. Has done for millions of years. In the 1970s global cooling was the hysteria, now it's global warming.

The media knows they can scare the piss out of people by showing images of a hurricane and adding the words "global warming" instant news story. Sells papers, drives ratings.

The scientists who explain climate change in a rational way, don't get any air time. Only Al Gore gets air time, what university did he earn his Ph.D at again? How much electricity does his mansion use each month?

As a Canadian I prefer global warming over global cooling, I froze my ass off here as a kid in the 70s. 30 yrs from now we'll be back to global cooling, Al Gore will be un-employed.

R,

PS: I forgot to add that I'm not implying we should pollute, and not care. Of course we should take all necassary steps for a cleaner environment. I just don't buy the media and celebrity driven hysteria over what is a natural occurance, the cooling and warming cycle that has gone on for millions of years.

Now you'll excuse me I have to go fill up my V8 SUV. Luckily gasoline is cheaper today than it was 20 years ago if you adjust for inflation. Which of course is the only way.

I could buy my gasoline for a lot less money if oil hog Americans didn't need 22 million barrels of oil a day :D

• Premium Member
30 yrs from now we'll be back to global cooling,

Actually the warm spikes in the natural climate seem to be very brief, but not quite that brief -- 100 to 200 years.

There are some papers by Barbara Bell from the early 1970's in which she correlated a couple of these spikes with the two intermediary periods in the history af ancient Egypt -- the chaotic times that separated the old, middle, and new kingdoms. Dendrochronology and Greenland ice sheet data line up quite nicely with the Egyptian experience and nileometer readings.

The curious thing about Al Gore is the extent to which he owns this issue worldwide. The only thing remotely like that was Hitler and antisemitism.

-- J.S.