What timeline for 16mm footage?

I got back my first test roll of 16mm footage from Cinelab I have ever shot. Looks pretty good on my camera from what I can see.

What kind of timeline do I put this on when I caputure it? It's a mix of 24fps and 64fps if that matters.

Edited by AdamBray

Chances are the telecine process put all your footage at the standard video rate of 29.97. The 24 fps would have the 2:3 pulldown, and the 64 fps would be in slow motion.

So if it came back on a MiniDV, use a DV preset in your NLE. If it came back Uncompressed on hard drive, maybe use an HD preset in your NLE.

I always ask for the footage to be transfered at 30fps. That is, the lab just assumes I was shooting for video with no telecine. That way every frame of film corresponds to one frame on video. Then I make a 23.976 timeline and bring the footage in. Then tell the software to interpret as 23.976. The software automatically puts in the pulldown, and I don't need to concern myself with cuttin on a combined frame. It makes the edit intuitive, I mean, one frame on the timeline = one frame on film. Its much simpler than looking at a 29.97 timeline with 24fps footage on it.