agh. compressor keeps quitting (FCP 6.0.1)

I don't understand what's wrong. compressor shows the loading screen and never even starts up, I just get "program has unexpectedly quit" message.

I've re-installed FCP studio 3 times and all the updates and compressor keeps quitting on me :(

i've also deleted the library>preferences>apple.compressor.compressor (or something like that) file and re-opened the program. nothing!

anyone else have any ideas?

are there any other compressor related files that might be affecting it?

is there a way to uninstall FCP studio entirely so I can just re-install it? I think that's my only option left ... it seems weird that it wont come with an uninstaller.

bleh, I hate when things don't work properly.

thanks!

I don't have applecare or anything tho... :(

I mean, if removing FCP studio completely didn't work, what else is left? it makes no sense that it wouldn't work. i dont understand. has anyone else had this problem?

the only thing i found is this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...25&tstart=0

has anyone installed the new updates here? it seems silly that this would be the root of the problem, the two programs are not even related.

Edited by Noam Gagliardi Rabinovich

• Premium Member
I don't have applecare or anything tho... :(

I mean, if removing FCP studio completely didn't work, what else is left? it makes no sense that it wouldn't work. i dont understand. has anyone else had this problem?

the only thing i found is this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...25&tstart=0

has anyone installed the new updates here? it seems silly that this would be the root of the problem, the two programs are not even related.

which version of quicktime are you using and do you have any secondary cards fitted- raid cards, video cards etc. also which version of osx are you running and what mac? i can probably help if you can give me all these details.

keith

I always do the updates so I have:

I quicktime 7.2

FCP 6.0.1

MAC OS X 10.4.10

I'm not on a mac pro since I'm not working with heavy graphics or surround sound, so I haven't added any cards other than more RAM; I have an imac 2.16 Ghz intel core duo (they come with NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT).

I'm just now starting to get some editing work here and there while trying to put together a personal project so this took me by surprise.

thanks for the help so far :)

Edited by Noam Gagliardi Rabinovich

Here's something I tried once that worked. Final Cut wasn't opening - something similar to what you're experiencing with Compressor. I created a new user and ran the application from that user. Everything worked under the other user. You might be having a conflict with some other application or some component associated with some other application.

Was it working before or is this the first time you've used it?

that won't work either... I'm starting to lose hope. maybe it is the new quicktime and it'll be fixed with the next quicktime update?

if not I guess I'll just export my movies on someone else's computer or something; everything else works just fine. using quicktime compression is too limited.

i still don't understand how this could happen after re-installing everything... at least it's a weird and interesting problem that defies all logic :)

• Premium Member

I think your problem could well be that you are using quicktime 7.2 which i really wouldn't recommend. i'd delete 7.2 and all of fcp studio (especially preferences) then reinstall QT 7.16 which is much more stable then reinstall FCP studio then update everything apart from quicktime. you will find 7.16 on apples website if you do a search in the support/ downloads section. otherwise your kit should be fine.

FIXED IT!

in case anyone is having the same trouble:

(from http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...25&tstart=0 ... he called apple support and they told him what to do)

Open system preferences

Click on Accounts, unlock and create a new account called "Test"

I created the test account and logged off of my current user, logging back in as "Test"

I then clicked the blue apple and got the software updates

It downloaded updates for FCS (which had been present before I used AppZapper and re-installed everything)

He then had me attempt to open Compressor

It worked fine and when I logged back into my regular user, everything worked as it should! Hope this helps someone.

Lawrence

god bless the internet... then again the internet got me in this mess in the first place... thank you all for helping out :)