DEAD PIXEL ISSUE GY-HD111 & AUDIO ISSUE

Philip Lewis

Hey guys, some help please, just finished today shooting a couple of scenes for a short i'm currently directing. noticed two dead pixel's in the stuff we shot in the morning in a bowling ally, probably will be able to cut around the issue in the edit. i eventually noticed the issue later on in the day, and solved it with the PIXEL COMPENSATION secret menu in the camera, worked a treat. My only issue now is any possibilities to disguise or hide the current dead pixel's on footage i have shot already, and can't really do any re-shoots of these scenes? please help.

Also, recording sound with a sound device 302 xlr to camera input, that's recording sound straight to tape. our sound guy is pretty inexperienced(last minute problem with the guy we originally had) and listening back to the stuff from earlier it seems to distort even though the levels on the camera appear to never hit the red, they stay mostly white and into the yellow on the camera levels. would keeping the camera levels near minimum help to solve this problem and the mixer can dictate the rest. what i did notice is that even with screaming noises, the level never seems to distort when set at below the yellow level, in otherwords it's constaly on white. my only worry about this is that people talking quiet may be too quiet. Sound mixing seems pretty difficult with this camera, can anyone help or suggest settings suitable for the current mixer thats connected to the camera?????

PLEASE HELP GUYS :D

Hey guys, some help please, just finished today shooting a couple of scenes for a short i'm currently directing. noticed two dead pixel's in the stuff we shot in the morning in a bowling ally, probably will be able to cut around the issue in the edit. i eventually noticed the issue later on in the day, and solved it with the PIXEL COMPENSATION secret menu in the camera, worked a treat. My only issue now is any possibilities to disguise or hide the current dead pixel's on footage i have shot already, and can't really do any re-shoots of these scenes? please help.

There are ways to hide a bad pixel in post in most NLEs. The easiest concept is to export a still frame, load it into Photoshop and create a simple white dot on black matte. Then use that matte in your NLE with a slightly offset dupe of the source footage. The result should be that the 'hole' is filled with data from 1 or 2 pixels away.

A friend of mine is working on writing a custom after effects plug-in that will clone and blend the surrounding pixels in order to disguise the bad pixel. I'm not sure how well it will work out.

Also, recording sound with a sound device 302 xlr to camera input, that's recording sound straight to tape. our sound guy is pretty inexperienced(last minute problem with the guy we originally had) and listening back to the stuff from earlier it seems to distort even though the levels on the camera appear to never hit the red, they stay mostly white and into the yellow on the camera levels. would keeping the camera levels near minimum help to solve this problem and the mixer can dictate the rest. what i did notice is that even with screaming noises, the level never seems to distort when set at below the yellow level, in otherwords it's constaly on white. my only worry about this is that people talking quiet may be too quiet. Sound mixing seems pretty difficult with this camera, can anyone help or suggest settings suitable for the current mixer thats connected to the camera?????

PLEASE HELP GUYS :D

It sounds like the sound guy was sending you line level but you had your input switch set to mic level. That means the signal was way too hot and you overcompensated by bringing the recording level down on the camera. However, this means that the overmodulated signal is still overmodulated and distorted. Sound guys should always monitor what comes out of the camera, not their mixer.