Scratches Oh My!!! super 16mm eclair NPR

Matt Bizer

I just recently shot a short film on an S16mm modified Eclair NPR. I am really happy with the footage shot on 7218 with ziess 12mm 25mm and 50mm lenses, but we had a problem on our last 400ft roll with scratches. Thank the good man up stairs that places like FotoKem are around. They think they can fix the footage for us.

Heres the question. The frames that were scratch had 3 - 6 vertical scratches that are located in the top of the frame and travel between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way down the frame. They are thin and black, but what catches me is that they are consistent. They do no waver at all. As the roll goes on more and more appear. What do you think is the cause. The camera is a Eclair NPR again and it is well maintained. I have run a scratch test and the mag seems fine. Could the loop have been made too long and rubbed? any ideas?

the only other note I can mention is it was shot in a bakery and exposed to flour anc such floating in the air. I do believe my 1st AC is meticulous and that he kept most out.

Thanks for all the advice,

Matt

• Premium Member
Heres the question. The frames that were scratch had 3 - 6 vertical scratches that are located in the top of the frame and travel between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way down the frame. They are thin and black, but what catches me is that they are consistent.

a scratch that is on part of a each frame says "loops" to me.. The film can touch "something": for part of the travel, and then the is taken away as the sroket takes it up.

If you can have a look at the actual negative to see what side if the film it is on. Load some leader, or dead film in the camera and see if you can find what parts would touch if the loops are too small or too big.