Color

I'm actually watching Mission Impossible 3 right now and they have a great interesting color pallete and I can see how they have lit each scene, except for one that has a steel blue tint to it the background is metal and it is very cold and almost pale look on the actors faces, yet parts of this scene they have normal looking (flesh tone) skin. I'm wondering how they achieved this.

I have noticed in other movies where most of the image is some off color, green, blue or what have you but the actors appear normal skin toned. Are they just being over powered with a balanced key light? I love to mix colors, but my over all question is how to keep the actors looking normal while still having the mix. I do know about seperate background lights so if its just as simple as that then let me know as well because I might just be over complicating it.

Thank you

Chris

I'm actually watching Mission Impossible 3 right now and they have a great interesting color pallete and I can see how they have lit each scene, except for one that has a steel blue tint to it the background is metal and it is very cold and almost pale look on the actors faces, yet parts of this scene they have normal looking (flesh tone) skin. I'm wondering how they achieved this.

I have noticed in other movies where most of the image is some off color, green, blue or what have you but the actors appear normal skin toned. Are they just being over powered with a balanced key light? I love to mix colors, but my over all question is how to keep the actors looking normal while still having the mix. I do know about seperate background lights so if its just as simple as that then let me know as well because I might just be over complicating it.

Thank you

Chris

Color manipulation in post. A lot of that is color mainpulation in post. Its kinda freaky going form dailies to finished product sometimes. Watch army of darkness dvd delete scenes and look at the color correction that was done to the footage. wow.

Color manipulation in post. A lot of that is color mainpulation in post. Its kinda freaky going form dailies to finished product sometimes. Watch army of darkness dvd delete scenes and look at the color correction that was done to the footage. wow.

Thats really disapointing when I hear it was done in post lol. I'm a person who loves to do as much in camera as possible while still having wiggle room in post to fix things. But I still like the style so I can't complain as long as its done right!

Guest Stephen Murphy

In cases like MI3 the key light is usually kept neutral while the lights working the background and or backlight contain the colour.

Its not all done in post - tracking power windows around a moving actor for every shot would take a while, cost a small fortune and not look anywhere near as good. Proper placment of lights and carefull flagging is quicker, cheaper and looks better.