MKH-60 good for voiceover??

alan smith

I know the MKH-416 is a popular voiceover mike, but what I have is the MKH-60.

I know a gentleman who is thinking of going after voiceover work (sounds like James Earl Jones, but a little more vigorous and raspy --detailed highs) anyway, I thought of giving him my MKH-60 to help him along (if you can't, help someone who can).

Is this mike at all suitable? or a mis-step in the wrong direction?

Thanks, alan

The MKH-60 is one of the best mics ever made, the only complaints I've ever heard about it are down to personal taste. But you shouldn't second guess your talent. First session, line up a half dozen mics: SM57, U47, U87i, AKG 414, MKH60, MKH416, or whatever else you've got around. Record a couple voiceover samples on all mics and see which works best. Sometimes the voice sounds best on the cheapest mic, sometimes not.

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member
The MKH-60 is one of the best mics ever made, the only complaints I've ever heard about it are down to personal taste. But you shouldn't second guess your talent. First session, line up a half dozen mics: SM57, U47, U87i, AKG 414, MKH60, MKH416, or whatever else you've got around. Record a couple voiceover samples on all mics and see which works best. Sometimes the voice sounds best on the cheapest mic, sometimes not.

I have an MKH-60 and it is a truly great mic. For V.O., make sure you place it correctly and are working in a soundbooth, etc.

I use it for V.O. as well as location work and it has never let me down. :rolleyes: