Daylight Loads

Guest avntgrd

Is it possible to load 7245 in daylight? It says on the package to load in total darkness, but I just read on another website that there is no such thing as a 100' non-daylight roll. This is my first venture into the world of filmmaking and I certainly don't want to waste 3 perfectly good rolls of films. Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member
Is it possible to load 7245 in daylight? It says on the package to load in total darkness, but I just read on another website that there is no such thing as a 100' non-daylight roll. This is my first venture into the world of filmmaking and I certainly don't want to waste 3 perfectly good rolls of films. Thanks for your help.

7245 on "daylight" loading spools can be loaded in subdued light, but you may still get a bit of edgefog sneaking in between the flanges of the spool and the film roll. That's why the "total darkness" recommendation. If you are careful and relatively fast, the fog should not penetrate into the image area.

Do you have a changing bag? You can rig an impromptu changing bag for loading spools by using a zipped-up leather jacket, with gaffer tape along the bottom and neck area, and reaching in backward through the sleeves. (Use a real changing bag or darkroom for film that is not on a spool).

I'd definately load them in at least subdued light or if I can in total darkness. Don't stress out too much about fogging the film. Just make sure you're very familiar with loading your camera. Get some junk film and do some practise loads first in the light and then some practise loads in the dark. Good luck! :lol:

I've never had any problems loading in "subdued" light.

Sometimes, I'll use a changing bag to unload if the end is crtical, or variation on the jacket trick as John mentions.

I *would* be a little extra cautious with a Super 16 camera (like S16 Bolex mod) especially unloading.

-Sam