Night City Landscape

Hi everyone,

Continuing with my night shot experiments, I am also planning, or would like,to shoot a city's night glow off a neighbouring mountain hill. I would say the distance from my spot of shooting preference to the city is around 15 to 20 km (9 to 12 miles).

How can I go about getting this shot ? I am filming on a s16 bolex ebm. The widest aperture from my collection of lenses, is 1.4, and I believe to be a Kern Switar rx 50mm (Not sure because I don't have the lenses with me at the moment)

Can this shot be achieved ?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

SMR

• Premium Member

There was a thread about this awhile back; can't find it now.

Basic rule of thumb for urban night exteriors: T-1.4 @ 640 ASA. If you need a wider aperture than your lens will allow, shoot at a lower frame rate.

what about exposure ? On my Ebm, the slowest shutter I can get is 1/28th at 10 fps.

Another option I can try is shooting on my Bealieu super 8 4008 ZmII.

With this camera, I am able to shoot single frames. Perhaps with the assist of a digital camera for metering and reference, I can take single frame long exposures ?

All the best,

SMR

• Premium Member
Do you suggest pushing a 500 film to 640 ?

That's exactly what the other thread was about (found it here).

It's up to you -- pushing the film adds visible grain and contrast. A slightly underexposed image on a filmstock with good shadow sensitivity (like 7218) might look acceptable and cleaner. 640 ASA is only 1/3 stop faster than 500.