Before Night Falls

Cris Moris

Hello all,

Keep an eye on this guy. I had the pleasure of working with him on a short in New York. He has a very good eye and does some wonderful work. When I saw some of the dalies I was blown away because when we were on set I thought to myself: what is this guy doing? Of course I was working as a set dresser wo I couldn't really talk to him.

He did Before Night Falls, which I recently saw. Very beautifully shot. Some second unit stuff on 21 Grams, and a few episodes of Deadwood.

Anyway anyone else have opinions of his work?

I saw "Before Night Falls" awhile ago on DVD and thought it was great, another South American film with gorgeous beautiful colors. I remember it being super contrasty and grainy, perhaps there was a lot of push processing involved?

Can you describe the dailes for the project you worked on? How did you expect them to look after being on set? My impression from seeing "Before Night Falls" was that the cinematographer was not afraid of playing with different lab processes to get more extreme looks, perhaps that was the case with the project you were on?