Transfer to 35mm

Hey guys......

I am shooting a documentary film with the Sony Z1 Camera and we expect to transfer the project to 35mm. We are still shooting but i've just had done two 35mm tests with different stocks.

The first one was transfer to KODAK VISION Premier Film 2393 and the second one to Agfa CP 30.

I know that the Kodak Stock is a little bit more magenta, the Agfa goes more into the blues and the Fuji is greenish. But i am sure i can fix this in color correction.

In terms of contrasts and latitude my guess is that Kodak Premier is on the top, at least i liked it more.

i am shooting in radical situations with hard day light and also in really low key interiors. The look of the films is very contrast, hard and with wash out colors.

I will like to share the experience if some of you have done something similar.

Thanks...

Pedro

Each test was made with different people.

The first test was really well done, i could see a good and clean image free of strobe or any other aberration. I was able to choose the footage i wanted to transfer and we made a color correction before it.

But the second test was less good. The worst thing was that the image was shaking and the movement of the characters was not constant but cuted. We gave them over 5min of footage and at the end they transfered a minute of it but they had some trouble with the format.

We are shooting on a Z1 at 50i directly to a Sony firestore and the tricky part is that we ended with a M2T format which we have to convert so we can see what we shot. This format is not recognizable by any version of Final Cut or Quicktime or Avid. We found out a M2T program conversion that allows us to see what we shoot and to transfer it to HD.

Anyway, these people had trouble with the M2T format and couldnt transfer it properly. Now they want to do another test at 24p.

One of the reason is because of the budget, the production had two Sony Z1 HDV cameras ready to shoot. And we needed to start sooting the project as soon as posible.

At first i wanted to shoot the documentary with the Panasonic HDX-200. But i realized that i liked the filmlook you get with the HDV 50i. I like the HDX-200 24p filmlook if the project will end up on a DVD or video. The interlaced gives a less video look when transfering to film, less sharp and a sense of blurish, which i think is closer to how the film looks.

The interlaced gives a less video look when transfering to film, less sharp and a sense of blurish, which i think is closer to how the film looks.

Do you know what the lab is running the footage through to get the 24p look onto film...

Also you said you like the first test better... who did the test you don't mind answering...

The first one was transfer to KODAK VISION Premier Film 2393 and the second one to Agfa CP 30.

I know that the Kodak Stock is a little bit more magenta, the Agfa goes more into the blues and the Fuji is greenish. But i am sure i can fix this in color correction.

These are print stocks. Are you transferring directly to a print?

If so, no chance for color correction, & expensive for every print.

Sorry for the paused but i have been a little bit busy these days,

Gary,

the postproduction house that transfered the first test is called Grupo de Leon in Mexico City and i dont really know what you mean with what the lab is running to get that 24p film look......do you mean the 25HDV footage?

Leo,

yes, the tests where transfered directly to prints.....i made a digital color correction before printing, thats what i meant....