Music vid for critique

SpikeUM

• Premium Member

It's nice-looking, for the most part. I don't care for the look on the long shots at the end where the camera moves around the two guys. I think it's a strange unattractive look. Other thing I question is some color grading changes in the right frame right at the end of the first chorus. The color grade changes abruptly and it looks odd. Is that intentional?

Edited by Chris Keth

Thanks for watching and taking the time to critique. The shot at the end was to evoke a physical reaction from the viewer and give them the feeling of dizziness. I did have that part a bright saturated green but I was afraid of NTSC broadcast colors not liking that so i went and changed it to old film look. I think I may change it back.

The coloring grading at the part where it turns slo-mo? If thats the part, what happened was it was supposed to be cloudy all day that day according to weather.com and the sun went and popped itself out halfway through the shoot making me have to deal with the grey cloudy look to the bright sunny look. Some of the really green shots were shot on another day without the girls. I do like the transition of the colors but I wish I had more balance of shots between both types of grading.

I also wish I had more planning time now that I watch the video, got the gig and had to shoot 2 days after. I probably would have tried to make it look like panorama shots by lining up the edges like some of the shots that did it by accident. I like the split screen idea where we follow each at the same time I just wish I had more time to think out the idea. Another reason for the split screen was to hope people watch it twice to find things they missed the first time.

• Premium Member

Well the end was certainly a bit dizzying. It works in this format but I would never try that on anything meant for a big screen! :D I have to agree on the color of it. The old movie thing is just so poor-looking and over done. Go for something wild and flashy that fits the subject better.

The grading blip I saw is at 1:21 and is much too abrupt to be just a change in light. First it looks a lot like ungraded footage, then the contrast changes and it gets a bit magenta, then the magenta goes out. It changes immediately like the clip got cut and a grade was applied to the larger part of it but the smaller part was missed.

Well the end was certainly a bit dizzying. It works in this format but I would never try that on anything meant for a big screen! :D I have to agree on the color of it. The old movie thing is just so poor-looking and over done. Go for something wild and flashy that fits the subject better.

The grading blip I saw is at 1:21 and is much too abrupt to be just a change in light. First it looks a lot like ungraded footage, then the contrast changes and it gets a bit magenta, then the magenta goes out. It changes immediately like the clip got cut and a grade was applied to the larger part of it but the smaller part was missed.

Ah, I know what you see. Like a frame that got missed. I know whats that from, after effects renders seemed to drift and I had to cut frames out to bring is back into synch. I bet I missed a frame and its the underlying layer poking through. :P

I think I'm going to change the ending color this week. I was watching and yeah, i don't feel the old film look.

• Premium Member
Ah, I know what you see. Like a frame that got missed. I know whats that from, after effects renders seemed to drift and I had to cut frames out to bring is back into synch. I bet I missed a frame and its the underlying layer poking through. :P

I think I'm going to change the ending color this week. I was watching and yeah, i don't feel the old film look.

Yeah, something like that.

For the spinning shots, try something kind of tobacco-y and overexposed-looking. That would look very cool and be in the same vein as the old-movie look.

I think I may go back to the super saturated greens I had. What I liked about the green I had was that i tinted the highlights green and so the faces had this emerald highlight that made them look plastic.

• Premium Member
I think I may go back to the super saturated greens I had. What I liked about the green I had was that i tinted the highlights green and so the faces had this emerald highlight that made them look plastic.

Sounds cool.