Special Effect

Darrell Abney

I am shooting a scene for a short film this weekend.

I need to make an electric lantern look like its a flame based one.

Since the location owner asked me not to carry around a flame I am using an electric lantern - Problem is the light is either on or off.

Anyone have an ideas to make it flicker like a real flame? I frosted the glass so you cant see that theres an electric bulb in there.

Hit me up with any thoughts/suggestions

thanks!

• Premium Member
Put it on a dimmer and twist the dimmer up and down to simulate a flickering flame.

I've used the dimmer with a momentary contact push button switch in parallel. You can gradually ride the dimmer with one hand, and add a rapid flicker with the push button in the other. Works great for an imitation candle.

-- J.S.

They make light bulbs that flicker which are usually used in chandeliers. They're available at most hardware stores. It likely isn't bright enough to serve as you primary light source (most of them are 3 watts but I have purchased some that were 7.5 watts). You'll need to supplement that with on set lighting and use the suggestions already posted, i.e. Magic Gadget, dimmer, etc. The dancing filament adds a nice touch of realize to an otherwise unreal source.