HD Feature Clips

The clips are broken up into week 1 and week 2 of shooting. We shot on a Varicam with Pro35. We tested a direct to disk system during the shoot using a MacPro tower, a RAID tower, and a blackmagic capture card. We did some uncompressed to disk (4:2:2 1280x720) but we also rolled to tape during the whole shoot. After seeing the same shot uncompressed direct to disk capture and DVCPRO HD tape footage, I compared the two side by side; I?m convinced going direct to disk is the only way to shoot HD. However none of the following footage is from the uncompressed footage.

Week 1

http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/clip1.mov

Week 2

http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/clip2.mov

Wow...

In a nutshell, awesome.

The only bad thing I can really say about it is the softness. Which is probably due to the Pro35 adapter anyway. But it just seems to soften the contrast aswell.

The steadicam shot on the first clip was pretty well done I thought.

And the second clip looks and sounds like it would make one epical reel lol

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Thanks! I actually prefer softer stuff. I shot the whole project with various promists and I felt the softening by the pro35 was a benefit to the look I was going for. The biggest draw back to softness is if we were doing a film out in which those to factors speak to the look of the film, but the resolution of the Varicam isn't good enough, in my opinion, for film outs. I would have preferred to shoot the whole thing 1920x1080 direct to disk but there was so much slow motion in the film, varicam was really our only option within our budget.

It's always strange seeing Canadian money on screen. :D

Looks good.

R,

Thanks Rich! Most the movie was funded by a canadian super model called Daria Werbowy. She came on set in whistler a few times last year and helped set extras and stuff. Really great girl, looks nothing like she does in her ad's, really down to earth hemp wearing hippy actually ;-).

PS. I'm a fan of your stuff rich. Do you have another project on the go?