Flycam vs Glidecam

Peter Cote

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the flycam 4000 which is not to be confused with the glidecam 2000 or 4000. The flycam 4000 is a similar design but cheaper. however it looks to run off the same type of parts. i have a glidecam which works great for documentary work, but a friend is thinking about buying a flycam. i didn't know enough to give him a good answer as to whether its worth it. can anyone give me some information?

• Premium Member

Are you referring to the Flycam that is made in South America? If so, I would tell your friend to avoid it. I haven't used it personally (or even seen it in person) but I've heard many jokes about it from operators who have. From what I understand it's just a cheap knockoff, and a piece of junk. If you're talking about a different Flycam, then I can't help.

• Premium Member

Come on, let's be serious, Glidecam is already a cheap sort of junk thing compared to Steadicam... Never heard nor seen the Flycam. Kareem have you ? But if its a cheap Glidecam, hand held will give much better results... Hey guys, I've got the Funckcam, you know it's cheaper than the Flycam etc. Come on...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Come on, let's be serious, Glidecam is already a cheap sort of junk thing compared to Steadicam... Never heard nor seen the Flycam. Kareem have you ? But if its a cheap Glidecam, hand held will give much better results... Hey guys, I've got the Funckcam, you know it's cheaper than the Flycam etc. Come on...

Apples and Oranges...i..e. "junk" is unfair. I have used a Glidecam 4000 with a forearm brace

(less than $400.00 for both purchase price!) and have walked down a ladder and continued across a

battlefield scene and got floating shots way superior to handheld. I've gone up stairs and across pool

tables as if it were flying. It's great for the money and for those of us who can't afford to always

hire Steadicam equipment and operator much less purchase. Sure, there's a Steadicam Jr. but the

weight limit on that is well below the Glidecam 4000.

For those of us who aren't shooting high budget productions, the Glidecam products give good results.

Look at the shots you can get with the Camcrane ($449.00 last time I checked on B+H) not including

mount but it goes on about any tripod or you can take an old workhouse Bogen and dedicate it to that.

For years only Hollywood films could get Steadicam type shots. Of course if you have the money

it makes sense to hire a Steadicam operator with gear but if you're making low budget passion

projects and you get the hang of using a Glidecam (not too difficult) it's pretty thrilling to have some

big budget shots.

By the way, I used the Glidecam 4000 with my HVX-200 mounted on it last week for the first

episode of a new series about eco-friendly homes and that was a decently budgeted production so

Glidecam is not necessarily a low budget only tool but for my less than $400.00 investment, I have

got a lot of beautiful shots that I could have neither obtained or afforded any other way.

• 6 years later...

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the flycam 4000 which is not to be confused with the glidecam 2000 or 4000. The flycam 4000 is a similar design but cheaper. however it looks to run off the same type of parts. i have a glidecam which works great for documentary work, but a friend is thinking about buying a flycam. i didn't know enough to give him a good answer as to whether its worth it. can anyone give me some information?

Hie, i am using flycam 5000. Great product with the great quality. :) :)