Polarizing Filter

Gencer Hassan

• Premium Member

The thread of the Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80 mm lens fitted to the Nizo 6080 is 67mm.

So you would need filter "00072567 Hama Polarising Filter Circular, 67,0 mm" for 34 Sterling.

However, may I suggest to maybe avoid purchasing a filter by Hama and rather go for one made by B+W or Tiffen? They are more expensive, but of a visibly better quality. Depending on what you are shooting on Super 8, this might be a worthwhile investment.

By the way: do you own a Nizo 6080 (series 2) above whiches lens you find the 'UWL' marking inbetween the '0' and 'macro' markings, or do you have one without the 'UWL' marking (a series 1)?

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hama as they are dirt cheap, however as you say a tiffen is probably a better investment. I'll be mostly shooting outdoors stuff with it.

Looking at my 6080 i believe its a series 2 model. It has above the lens a 0, red dot, uwl, macro (in red), macro (in white). Are the threads different for series 2 ?

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hama as they are dirt cheap, however as you say a tiffen is probably a better investment. I'll be mostly shooting outdoors stuff with it.

Looking at my 6080 i believe its a series 2 model. It has above the lens a 0, red dot, uwl, macro (in red), macro (in white). Are the threads different for series 2 ?

Yes, you have a series 2 model (which uniquely feature the 'UWL' marking)

No, series 2 models have a thread of 67mm in diameter. I just wanted to double-check on that (it's listed in the manual). You can easily measure the diameter with a simple metering rule, just to be absolutely certain.

The lenses used on Nizo 6080 series 1 and series 2 are quite different constructions. The series 1 version of the Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80 mm is also found on the Nizo 4080, while the variation used for the Nizo 6080 series 2 is unique to it.

Considering the reported problems of some series 2 lenses having reduced optical resolving power due to lackluster quality control, I would want to avoid putting "more cheap glass" in front of it. I think your Nizo 6080 would hence merit a Tiffen or B+W :)