Lights, lights..... so many choices!!

Michael Reedy

Okay guys and girls, a not-so-small question regarding light choices...

Here is the situation: We have completed a small range of projects (short film, some corporate stuff, etc.) and after the hassels of hiring, thought it time to bite the bullet and purchase some lighting equipment. Now comes the tough question... WHERE THE HELL DO I START???

After trying to absorb some most excellent information from this site and your constant high quality postings i'm afraid i'm still at a loss. My criteria revolves mainly around small interviews for a local (if seldom watched) television station, short films competitions (the 48Hour on 8-10 Oct.) the standard, random filming situations.

I've been attracted towards the Dedolights (150w x 3 lampheads) as they should hopefully be unobtrusive in cramped interviewing situations. Then maybe some redheads to take up the brunt of the sets lighting (on the short films) and maybe a blonde or something similar to really shine.

So after this kind of long post, my question is: What experiences have people had with this or a similar set up?

Mainly in regards to ease of colour correction, setup times, heat or just anything in general and so forth...

Not too sure if this helps any but we are shooting on our (yes i know it's old) XL1, though soon to be upgraded to an XL2... If I can find someone that sells them around here that is.

Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

michael.

• Premium Member

dedo + redheads + blonde is a good start.

May be you should get an hand-held torch (250W - battery supply) + dicroïc filter for quick easy interviews in halls, places like that.

If you do some outside shots with some quality creteria, a 1200 or even a 2500 HMI would be of great help (luxarc or cinepar) + reflectors. or even a 400 Joker

Dedolights are great, but you also can find some tiny Mini-Fresnel projectors that you can put either 300 or 500 w lamps, they're of great help and very much cheaper (not as great of course).

Keep a bit of money for such accesories as Moll Richardson clamps, magic arms, flags... An autopole can be of great help in some situations

Just ideas...

Get a good portable softlight for interview work. For flos, check out the Pampa Lights, the Lowel CaseLights, the Mole Richardson Biax lights and the KinoFlo Divas. Very useful and can swap out tungsten to daylight balanced with no loss of strength. For even more portability, check out the Lowel Rifa Lights. Great inexpensive portable softlight--basically a Chimera with the bulb inside. Be sure to get an eggcrate to control spill.