Panavision oil

• Premium Member

Hey all,

I'm loading on my first Panavision shoot this weekend, and I was wondering where to get the proper oil for the movement. Do you just pick it up at the rental house when you prep the camera? Do you have to buy it? It's pretty much an academic question since I'm sure the 1st AC has it covered, but I'm just curious. Also, do you have to use Panavision-specific silicone oil for the pulldown claw or is any silicone oil fine?

I'm hesitant to call Panavision direct because the camera is coming thru their New Filmmaker program (it's an Elaine/Super16) and their website says specifically not to call either Hollywood or Woodland Hills for service related questions.

• Premium Member
Hey all,

I'm loading on my first Panavision shoot this weekend, and I was wondering where to get the proper oil for the movement. Do you just pick it up at the rental house when you prep the camera? Do you have to buy it? It's pretty much an academic question since I'm sure the 1st AC has it covered, but I'm just curious. Also, do you have to use Panavision-specific silicone oil for the pulldown claw or is any silicone oil fine?

I'm hesitant to call Panavision direct because the camera is coming thru their New Filmmaker program (it's an Elaine/Super16) and their website says specifically not to call either Hollywood or Woodland Hills for service related questions.

Panavision gives you a little dropper bottle of oil and a thingie of silicone when you prep the camera. I don't think very many get returned, if you catch my drift. ;)

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member

Are you going to the camera prep? You can ask then. They give small bottles of silicon in the camera case. When you open the side door there is a diagram that points out the oil points of the camera. If it is just a weekend shoot you probably don't need to worry too much about oil.

• Premium Member
Hi Chris,

What is the silicon used on?

thanks,

Chuck

The silicone lube goes ONLY (I stress this because panavision stresses it) on the felt pad below the gate. The pulldown claws touch it and keep themselves lubricated. It only needs a tiny bit and isn't an every day thing. Weekly maybe.

• Premium Member

Thanks Chris and Kevin!

Are you going to the camera prep?

Unfortunately, camera prep is already done -- I jumped over from grip dept. when the other 2nd AC backed out so it was a last minute thing. It's a five day shoot actually, and the director apparently like long takes so we're expected to roll a lot of film. Elkin's "AC Manual" mentions that older Pana cameras like the GII, Platinum (and I'm guessing the Elaine) should be oiled daily and the Millenium every two weeks, but I guess that's based on an average amount of footage per day?

Also, I wanted to ask if there is an equivalent of Jon Fauer's ARRI book series for the Panaflexes, or some sort of camera manual available in PDF. It's easy to find full Arri manuals but Panavision seems a bit secretive about that sort of thing. Thanks guys!

• Premium Member
Also, I wanted to ask if there is an equivalent of Jon Fauer's ARRI book series for the Panaflexes, or some sort of camera manual available in PDF. It's easy to find full Arri manuals but Panavision seems a bit secretive about that sort of thing. Thanks guys!

I don't have it, but it's the only book I've seen like it:

The Panaflex Users Manual, 2nd Ed.

I also have a PDF manual for the millenium. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Most of it applies to every panaflex model.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
Hey Satsuki, that's great you're getting experience with Panavision cams.

That same Millenium book can be found at this site: http://emrl.com/resources/film/technical.html

Cheers

Cool, thanks Jonathan!

Actually, even better than getting to use the Panaflex is getting to work with a couple of ACs who really know their stuff and are kicking my ass (in a good way) to up my game. The 1st is Jeremy Wong, the 2nd I'm filling in for over the next few days is Alex Worster, and our camera PA is Cory Leavitt. If you ever get a chance to work with these guys, I'm sure you'll have a blast -- I have nothing but the highest admiration for their professionalism and generosity.