Clairmont Anamorphics

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

I'm prepping a new film and the director is in love with the idea of shooting it in Anamorphic. We'll very likely be going through Clairmont for our gear and I recall seeing a short a few years back that had an interesting look and was shot at very wide stops on the Clairmont Anamorphics; no idea if that's the direction we'll go, but I'm curious.

I'm working out scheduling to go shoot some tests of my own, but was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions regarding them.

Thanks!

I'm prepping a new film and the director is in love with the idea of shooting it in Anamorphic. We'll very likely be going through Clairmont for our gear and I recall seeing a short a few years back that had an interesting look and was shot at very wide stops on the Clairmont Anamorphics; no idea if that's the direction we'll go, but I'm curious.

I'm working out scheduling to go shoot some tests of my own, but was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions regarding them.

Thanks!

what up homeboy,

which brand are the clairmont anamorphics. I shot a commercial a couple years ago with these really nice Todd AO anamorphics that I got from clairmont...they were probably 40 years old, had a really nice soft look to the glass, flared with a nice white veil, and, I swear, most of them opened to a 2 (and I had one that was 1.4)... I shot them all at 4 for night work and 5.6 for day work. They definitely have a look to them. they breath like crazy though on the short end. would be curious to see an anamorphic like that shot at 1.4.

Anyways, hope that helps in some way ot another. Good luck man.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

what up homeboy,

which brand are the clairmont anamorphics? I shot a commercial a couple years ago with these really nice Todd AO anamorphics that I got from clairmont...they were probably 40 years old, had a really nice soft look to the glass, flared with a nice white veil, and, I swear, most of them opened to a 2 (and I had one that was 1.4)... I shot them all at 4 for night work and 5.6 for day work. They definitely have a look to them. they breath like crazy though on the short end. would be curious to see an anamorphic like that shot at 1.4.

Anyways, hope that helps in some way ot another. Good luck man.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

I did a project over summer where we used them. VERY light, and small for anamorphics. Manufactured by Kish Optics for Clairmont. I would recommend taking them up to the lens test room upstairs and put them on a projector. Learn where the different lenses fall off focally. Do a lot of testing.