16 mm frame grabs from my summer project

Zamir Merali

Hi guys. I shot a 16mm project this sumer and am in the editing phase now. I am really pressed for time and I am trying to get a rough version of the movie in for sundance. This movie was really just to practice directing while getting a chance to try the film format, I'm not expecting to get accepted into anything. I used an arriflex 16s that I got for 600 dollars and the two schnieder lenses that came with it. It's a foreign language movie and I managed to get really good performances out of my non-actors. Here's some frame grabs from the movie. They are really low quality.

post-12180-1189820594_thumb.jpg

post-12180-1189820603_thumb.jpg

post-12180-1189820615_thumb.jpg

I was amazed at the beauty of the 16mm film format compared to any digital I have used. I fell in love with film and now its going to be hard to shoot with digital. I already noticed that i get a stab of anxiety every time I take my eye away from my digital cameras viewfinder before I realize that the film won't get flashed. There are plenty more good shots that would like to post also but there is not enough room. I've got to get back to editing any way.

Edited by Zamir Merali

I'll post a trailer once I get a rough cut of the movie done. When sundance says they accept a rough version what do they mean. I'm hoping it can include, bad foley, temp or missing music, unfinished cc and some missing scenes. Thanks for taking a look at my stills. here's some more.

post-12180-1189969251_thumb.jpg

post-12180-1189969244_thumb.jpg

post-12180-1189969225_thumb.jpg