Overhead Schematics

Matthew Beals

Hello there,

As many DPs do, I like to create overhead blueprints of locations that I shoot in. They usually include important info like measurements of the space, lighting fixture placement, camera placement etc.

What software programs have others used to create these more efficiently? Any reccomendations would be helpful. It's about time I upgrade the ole pencil and paper technique...

Thanks in advance.

Usually I just draw the lighting plans by hand. But when I do use the computer program I use Paint shop pro. I like this program because I can draw with it, add vector graphics, and I can also import and manipulate photos

I use Adobe Illustrator.

I use the symbol tool to reuse a symbol throughout the plan. Or, if the symbol needs to be updated, just drag and drop and everyinstance of the symbol used in the document gets updated.

An example of the layers functionality, I use the layers tool to denote the different lighting diagrams for a specific location with multiple scenes. For example, location a living room, in one layer I draw the walls of the living room, in another layer I draw the furniture, in another layer, I draw the size of the room, in anohter layer, I draw the lighting diagram for scene 1, in another layer I draw the lighting diagram for the night scene. I have created symbols for just about any light that I use. I have symbols for my 5k's, 2k's, 1k',s kino's etc. Also, my symbols are color coded as well. Blue 5k means daylight. If no blue, but a yellow 5k symbol, them tungsten, then I have a symbol for gel's etc.

Using the layers palettte, then I can display the scene that we are currently working on without having to sort to paper, but I also print copies of the floor plan, each with each layer scene named, and each one of my G&E gets a copy.

Hope this helps.

Carlos.-

PS: Obviously, I start on paper, specially when I am on location. I pencil draw the location and add notes and doodle all over the piece of paper, I then transfer it to Illustrator.