I do want to shoot on film, for all the usual elusive reasons. I even like the way it smells.

I've decided to shoot a much smaller script I had written previously, 3 pages. I suppose I could shoot a five-hour epic on MiniDV for $5. One tape, record/load/erase/repeat, free help, natural light, etc. But part of me wants to spend a chunk of cash - responsibly to be sure - if only to experience the budgetary rigour that the medium seems to demand.

The first discrete film image I can recall remains my favourite: Caleb Deschanel's opening shot over the side of the boat in the Black Stallion, bisecting the screen, white boat, blue-black sea. I can also name the scene that made me look beyond the screen and want to MAKE a movie. The roll-in/freeze frame early in Goodfellas of Ray Liotta slamming shut the trunk and looking dazed. That was the moment I decided that it wouldn't suffice merely to watch movies.

Thanks for all the input and support.

Haha you know something I love that smell so much! I was just reccomending that if you wanted to shoot a longerish film, with your budget, HD would allow for a larger shooting ratio. But it sounds as if you've got worked out better now so more power to ya :D B) !

Good luck