About to buy a Bolex H16 Reflex: advice?

Sander Beenen

Dear all,

I have the chance to buy a Bolex H16 Reflex, including lenses in a couple of days. The pictures I've seen look great, but what do I really have to look out for? A pic of the cam is attached.

I'm a super8 guy moving into 16mm and have a bit of knowledge of cams and stuff.

tia and best regards

Sander

post-28359-1190783958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sander Beenen

Hello!

im new at this also, but among other things that people to told me to check are the following.

if you can check yourself is better if not ask the seller and cross your fingers

first of all you could ask for the serial number located at the base of the camera to see exactly which model it is and its features at the followiing site http://www.bolexcollector.com and others.

then a bolex at its full wind gives at 24fps 28 second of shooting (dont remeber exactly the seconds but 99% sure)

that means that the spring should be powerfull so the camera runs constant without slowing down.(thats critical)

also the optics should not have dings to the glass fungus etc.

the camera seems fine in the pics but these models are old and its seems for sure that you are ll have to service it

to give you the best of its potential.i havent clad mine and it works fine for the micro budget shorts i try to do ;-)

what will this cost you?

Edited by Petin Alexandros

Thanx Petin for the feedback and tips.

I hope to "find out" the serial number tonight. They want 450 euro for it.

regards

Sander

Hello!

im new at this also, but among other things that people to told me to check are the following.

if you can check yourself is better if not ask the seller and cross your fingers

first of all you could ask for the serial number located at the base of the camera to see exactly which model it is and its features at the followiing site http://www.bolexcollector.com and others.

then a bolex at its full wind gives at 24fps 28 second of shooting (dont remeber exactly the seconds but 99% sure)

that means that the spring should be powerfull so the camera runs constant without slowing down.(thats critical)

also the optics should not have dings to the glass fungus etc.

the camera seems fine in the pics but these models are old and its seems for sure that you are ll have to service it

to give you the best of its potential.i havent clad mine and it works fine for the micro budget shorts i try to do ;-)

what will this cost you?

Thanx. I'll know in a hour. On my way now to take a first look.

Like to first try it standard. Then maybe convert to super16.

I read about the 1.33 to 1.67 aspect ratio and the benefits, but I like to see the "original" first.

regards

Sander

judging by the preset lens you have there its worth the price. i suspect its a 26mm? the other two are ok. id get it serviced and converted to super16 asap, then away ya go!

Ok, I got it! Can't have dinner for a month but who cares ;-)

It is a REX-4 from 1965. Rexofader 40 and the Gossen light meter.

Lenses are:

25mm 1.4 KERN switar H16RX

10mm 1.6 KERN switar H16RX

50mm 1.4 KERN Macro-switar H16RX

No traces of usage (I would say a 9+) and all parts seem to be there.

Start saving for my first roll of film... ;-)

What do you mean by "it knob is replaced y a rotaing button"?

regards

Sander

if it is a REX 4 (the it knob is replaced by a rotating button like thing) which i cant tell for sure from the pic and with three lenses (which are the expensive presets), rexofader, lightmeter etc its very cheap. go for it.

yes my english is bad!

anyway to the left is the REX 4 later I-T button. to the right is the earlier. the blue highlight is the 1:1 drive shaft for the motor, something the earlier rex4 model didnt have.do your research now read the manual and have FUN.

and yes shooting film as a hobby makes you thinner ;-)

post-24995-1190838648_thumb.gif