Photoflood

Adam Thompson

• Premium Member

Has anyone used this type of photoflood? I'm very interested in keeping a few around for replacing practical bulbs as I'm often moving into a place with little lighting and little prep (assuming of course they can handle the heat for a little while). Was wondering if they are really 3200k? That's a long life if so. Would be good for china's too Id think. http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Quartz-Halogen-250-W...oQQcmdZViewItem

Also these: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Daylight-Cool-Photo-...oQQcmdZViewItem

I tried some off brand 50w version once but it had a really weird, sickly color. Lots of green too. Was bright though.

The halogen envelope lamp was manufactured by GE and Phillips for household usage several years ago. They erroniously marketed it only to homeowners. It was not very energy friendly. It did make a beautiful substitution for standard practical bulbs and came in a wide variety of wattages. unfortunatly they stopped making them. This is exactly the same as those just made in china. It does have 3200'K output and with a frosted exterior probably has a nice smooth nondirectional beam. these would work nice for practicals or clamp lights (brooders), or floods. I think for practicals you might run into issues with lampshades not fitting.

as for the dreaded compact flourescents, these have a high CRI. the color temp is close to 5600, they are coolish. I dont care for them, I tried to use them as a DP friend is really into them and has made his own fixtures with them. I think they are ok but have a serious lack of projection issue.( they fall off quickly) experiment. Check out a Lamp supply house for contractors. I used to pick these up at one for roughly$16, with a high CRI. $25 plus shipping sounds high.