Canon 1014 Super 8 test footage

Paul James Savarese

Hey guys,

I jumped on the wagon and started shooting. I thought you guys might like to see some footage. More people need to post footage - I love seeing what other people are doing with this awesome format. Please forgive the compression. I can't wait to shoot some more, this time with a tripod and more care with focus. I got this camera on ebay and am selling it. I splurged on the bealieue 4008 from pro8 as soon as I saw this footage. I know, I know most of you are against pro8 but I have my reasons after lots of research. Click the link below and give it 25sec.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Paul James Savarese

• Premium Member

Nice footage. You did a good job of getting proper exposure. I have a gripe with 64t, however, in that the colors are far too desaturated for my taste. It isn't your shooting, it's just the stock. That's the reason I stopped using it in fact. I discovered Vision2 500t and I haven't looked back. It's got deep contrast (not quite as good as 200t, but I compromised the extra contrast for the low light capability), and a medium amount of color saturation. If you really like color saturation, the Fuji Velvia 50 is a great stock. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread with stock talk. Nice footage anyhow and I'll post some Super8 footage when I can tear myself away from my Matte box project...:)

Nice footage. You did a good job of getting proper exposure. I have a gripe with 64t, however, in that the colors are far too desaturated for my taste. It isn't your shooting, it's just the stock. That's the reason I stopped using it in fact. I discovered Vision2 500t and I haven't looked back. It's got deep contrast (not quite as good as 200t, but I compromised the extra contrast for the low light capability), and a medium amount of color saturation. If you really like color saturation, the Fuji Velvia 50 is a great stock. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread with stock talk. Nice footage anyhow and I'll post some Super8 footage when I can tear myself away from my Matte box project...:)

Thanks for the good word. I hear you on the 64T completely. It doesn't hold a candle up to the Velvia, in fact the shot of the clock tower sealed the deal for me - it was the pro8mm 50D. The fine grain paired with the saturation just makes my mouth water. I just love film and always have; it's just great to be able to be a one man crew and play with it all! Have you used the 500T indoors with natural light? How well does it hold up? Again, thanks for taking the time to post a comment. Your matte box is coming along well. Can't wait for you to custom build me one!

Thanks for the good word. I hear you on the 64T completely. It doesn't hold a candle up to the Velvia, in fact the shot of the clock tower sealed the deal for me - it was the pro8mm 50D. The fine grain paired with the saturation just makes my mouth water. I just love film and always have; it's just great to be able to be a one man crew and play with it all! Have you used the 500T indoors with natural light? How well does it hold up? Again, thanks for taking the time to post a comment. Your matte box is coming along well. Can't wait for you to custom build me one!

I will take a moment to correct myself. The pro8mm 50D is from Kodak NOT Velvia - man I have a lot to learn. Now that I think about it, I ike natural color reproduction as opposed to that too saturated look of Velvia. It looks cartoonish to me. I know all you cinematographers are sighing right now!

• Premium Member
I will take a moment to correct myself. The pro8mm 50D is from Kodak NOT Velvia - man I have a lot to learn. Now that I think about it, I ike natural color reproduction as opposed to that too saturated look of Velvia. It looks cartoonish to me. I know all you cinematographers are sighing right now!

Actually, I agree with you that Velvia is too saturated. That's why I like 500t and 200t. They have a saturation level between 64t and Velvia 50. With Velvia, every piece of foliage looks like moss, it's so eye popping green.

As far as your question about 500t indoors, you could elect to shoot it with whatever light is available but to get good results you must 1) have a fast shutter (>180) and 2) you will have to keep your aperature large which may result in grainy and soft footage. I use a 1250W Photoflood kit with (2)500W and (1)250W lamps and depending on how I arrange my lighting, I can set my aperature as small as F16. I usually don't like to set it that high, but it's nice to have that sort of range. The same lighting setup with 64t would only yield somewhere between F5.6 and F8 minimum aperature. I also have a camera with a 220 degree shutter so I really do prefer the low-light capabilities. The grain increase of 500t is not as bad as some would have you believe, as long as you realize that you still do need a realistic amount of light. I would not recommend shooting this stock indoors to tea light candles or something like that.

Thanks for the encouragement for the Matte box and good luck with your shooting!