% vs IRE for a PD 170 sony

Gabriel Rochette

Ok!

Whats happen with that...?????

If you looking carefully in the pd 170 set-up you will find the 7.5 and the 0 calibration..Thats ok!!! 7.5 is the standard for right broadcast black ...... and 0 is for stretch black... BUT... if you put the camera on a waveform !!!!!!!! SURPRISE when yoU ARE IN 7.5..THE WAVEFORM INDICATE aproxx...15 ire... and when the 0 is setting ..the waveform indicate 7.5.... What thats ?????????????

OK... IRE ara IRE but the pd 170 set up indicate % not IRE...

Please help me

Gabriel Rochette

Québec Canada

• Premium Member

I'm not that familiar with the PD170, but some cameras automatically add a 7.5 setup to analogue output. So if you set the camera to 7.5 black and output that over composite or S-video, it goes out with additional 7.5 lift, bringing it up to 15. But I can't say for sure if this is happening with your camera.

Was this an analogue waveform taking a live feed from the camera? And was that waveform monitor set up correctly? Or was this a software waveform, reading imported footage?

Check the footage against the camera's color bars. If the black level of color bars is at 15, then something's going wrong downstream from the camera. If the color bars show black at 7.5 but black signal (like, with the lens cap on, GAIN "off") shows as 15, then something is set wrong in the camera.

15 IRE sounds pretty high even for improper pedestal in the camera. With black at 15 IRE you'd definitely see it on a monitor as milky gray. Was the gain turned on?

• 3 weeks later...