Sunset and Sunrise

NandoVillalba

Hello Everyone:

I am going to be shooting in the desert, that is in Palm Springs, California and I was having a discussion with my cinematographer about Sunset and Sunrise. He says Sunset and Sunrise look the same so we could just shoot a sunset and play it backwards. I don't agree on that because I never seen it that way, I think Sunset and Sunrise are different.

What do you think? Do you have any experience on this? Which are the perceptible differences?

We are going to be using and HD camera to shoot it. Whis is the best way to shoot a Sunrise so it looks dreamy, mythical, great, desirable, the new beggining... etc. :-)

Thank you very much for your time.

Fernando

Sunset and sunrise CAN look identical if shot and intercut- Baywatch for example had a standard magic hour look with long shadows- however, for the emphasis on the sunsets and sunrises as entities in their own right, I have to agree with you, as the sun sets and rises at different points.

I remember a friend of mine doing a sunset at night and everyone knew straight away because of the cloud formations you get at night and the amount of ambient light from the city reflected on the clouds above. More people inarguably are awake at sunset than are getting up (reluctantly) at sunrise.

When you say "play it backwards" it sounds like you are filming the actual ball of the sun going below the horizon. If that is the case there is a difference. The sun does not drop straight down but continues it?s arc from left to right. A sunrise arcs up and right. The difference between the two are quite apparent. So you need to flip the image AND reverse it!

• Premium Member
The sun does not drop straight down but continues it?s arc from left to right.  A sunrise arcs up and right.  The difference between the two are quite apparent.  So you need to flip the image AND reverse it!

Yup -- either that, or shoot South of the equator, where the directions are reversed. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Right, apart from the sun's moves, that doesn't matter that much unless you have it in the frame, there is like a convention : sunsets are often photographed in a warm light, while sunrises are more often cold... I don't think it's necessarly justified, but... what d'you think, fellows, about that sort of convention ?