upconverting/upresing SD footage to HD....?

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Shooting and editing a STARZ HD concert series and we shot the UK band the Kaiser Chiefs in NYC on Saturday night at the Beacon Theatre. Shooting HVX200's with Fire Stores because we didn't have access to enough P2 cards for the shoot, very last minute shoot and the Fire Stores were the next best thing (remind me never to say that again, because no hard drive should ever be setup to do something like this). Anyway, 5 minutes before set time one of the Fire Stores corrupted/came unformatted and so we sent that camera into the crowd roving, but running SD to tape, the only way around our problem.

We now need to find a way to get that footage upconverted/upressed to HD if that is even possible. I've tried do research to no end online this AM and can't find anything solid other than Red Giants product. I know that this is certainly not an exact science, and in fact isn't even truly an HD solution, but we need something to at least give us some more resolution out of that blow up which will be very obvious on a STARZ HD channel.

Any help, solutions, thoughts, trouble shoots?

Much obliged,

Rod

• Premium Member
Shooting and editing a STARZ HD concert series and we shot the UK band the Kaiser Chiefs in NYC on Saturday night at the Beacon Theatre. Shooting HVX200's with Fire Stores because we didn't have access to enough P2 cards for the shoot, very last minute shoot and the Fire Stores were the next best thing (remind me never to say that again, because no hard drive should ever be setup to do something like this). Anyway, 5 minutes before set time one of the Fire Stores corrupted/came unformatted and so we sent that camera into the crowd roving, but running SD to tape, the only way around our problem.

We now need to find a way to get that footage upconverted/upressed to HD if that is even possible. I've tried do research to no end online this AM and can't find anything solid other than Red Giants product. I know that this is certainly not an exact science, and in fact isn't even truly an HD solution, but we need something to at least give us some more resolution out of that blow up which will be very obvious on a STARZ HD channel.

Much obliged,

Rod

There's a product called Terranex that I used once to scale up sdx900 material for a cinema commercial. It gave surprisingly good results. I believe that they have both HW and SW solutions. I don't know any more details about it since I didn't handle the process. You'll just have to google for it. I know that some people that (at least used to) hang out at DV.com knew a lot about it.

Much obliged,

Rod

there are some software tools that may be able to do the job

the plug ins: Digital Anarchy Resizer 2.1, Red Giant Instant HD 1.0 and Topaz Enhance 2.2

Standalone: VideoEnhancer 1.3

there was a test of those tools in the german magazin "digital production" some time ago. i think they got some nice results but i don´t remember the exact test-results. could check em out later this week if needed!

hope that helps,

timo

Guest Rod Blackhurst

"there are some software tools that may be able to do the job

the plug ins: Digital Anarchy Resizer 2.1, Red Giant Instant HD 1.0 and Topaz Enhance 2.2

Standalone: VideoEnhancer 1.3"

Thanks for the lead on those plugins, I've heard of Red Giant Instant HD but the others would be nice to check out. I'll do some searching around the net on those products.

Cheers,

Rod