How to combine letterbox and anamorphic 16:9 footage?

Trevor Webb

What is the best way for me to combine letterbox footage with anamorphic widescreen footage in a project on adobe premiere pro 2.0 to get the best possible final image? I hate to shrink down the size of the anamorphic footage in a 4:3 project to match the size of the letterbox footage but then again increasing the size of the letterbox footage in a 16:9 project to match also degrades the quality... any advice?

• Premium Member

I think it's more of a post question. Try the "editor's corner" forum below.

I guess there's really only three options: scale up the letterboxed footage to the anamorphic size & shape; scale down the anamorphic to letterboxed, or re-scale all of it to something else (like HD if it's SD material). It just depends on how much of each type of footage you have, and how well Premiere can handle the conversion (or if there's another program that might do a better job re-scaling).

• Premium Member
What is the best way for me to combine letterbox footage with anamorphic widescreen footage in a project on adobe premiere pro 2.0 to get the best possible final image? I hate to shrink down the size of the anamorphic footage in a 4:3 project to match the size of the letterbox footage but then again increasing the size of the letterbox footage in a 16:9 project to match also degrades the quality... any advice?

Blow up the letterbox. Shrinking the anamorphic throws away resolution. Blowing up the letterbox doesn't, because the resolution isn't there in the first place. Check the source of the letterbox stuff, perhaps you can get the same material in a better format.

-- J.S.