RedRock settings?

Bill Totolo

Guest Christopher Wedding
Has anyone experimented with settings when mated to the Red Rock 35mm adapter?

Do you increase/decrease detail etc?

Hey Bill,

I've always increased the detail to +2 or +3 when using the Redrock and also taken the detail coring up a bit when doing so. That's when using Nikon lenses. I'd reconsider if using the PL mount with nicer lenses like the Super Speeds. If there is ever a time when I have to shoot a shot without the Redrock, I'll decrease the detail to -3 or -4 depending on how wide the shot is.

I wouldn't decrease the detail if the shots were meant for a blow up to 35mm. I haven't been able to do a test myself, but from other results I've seen it isn't a good idea, especially on wide shots.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Christopher Wedding

• Premium Member

Hey Bill,

It's true that the Redrock softens the image a bit, but as you know once you add detail in-camera it's there in the image forever. You might be better off using your preferred "normal" detail settings and sharpening in post if necessary, where you'll have more control on a scene-to-scene basis.

The Redrock groundglass acts like a low-con filter as well, which means that the fogging of the black levels is content-dependant. For that reason I left the black levels "normal" in camera and color-corrected in post. That fogging also lowers the appearance of color saturation, so you might want to err toward a saturated image, since it's easier to pull color out in post than it is to put it back in.

I didn't mess with detail coring, but since the Redrock uses a spinning groundglass I'd suggesting testing coring adjustment with the groundglass ON, and at the frame rates you think you'll be using.

As for wide shots, I'd dispense with the adapter altogether. Using an adapter that softens detail and allows for shallow d.o.f. for shots where you want lots of detail and deep focus is like going around your a$$ to get to your elbow. The adapter shows significant softening of detail in the corners with lenses 35mm or wider (I think that may be an issue of the macro focus on the groundglass, and is simply less noticeable with longer focal lengths where you tend to set focus on subjects more toward the center of the frame).