process trailer

Joseph Zizzo

• Premium Member

does anyone know of a process trailer on the west coast (US) that would allow for a forward-facing shot out of the windshield? obviously the conventional process trailer is set up to look in all driections but out the winshield, from which point the camera sees the tow vehicle.

the director on the job i'm on wants a wide-angle shot looking straight out the middle of the windshield, no compromise...

the car is a prius, so there is a limit to what can be rigged to/towed by the car itself. the job is in arizona (bright!) so i'd like to get more than a 1200 par coming in the side window.

good one, eh!?

Are you looking to place the camera inside the car, looking over the shoulder(s) of the driver or passenger and out the front windshield? Or are you looking to get a clean shot of the road?

Depending on which camera you use and what shot you are really looking for there are several options. It might be reasonable to put an operator in the back seat and have the talent (or a double) drive the car without a process trailer. Or if you going for a basic car POV shot, a hood mount would do just fine.

• Premium Member

Most people would just drive the car for real when they have to look straight out the front windshield.

I think there are tow rigs that tow the car from the corner so you can look forward more or less (though not wide angle) but it is very hard to get permission to drive that way since you have to lock-up all traffic in both directions.

• Premium Member

well, what has been requested is a wide shot is of a major nba star working his gps device while driving, with the camera in the back seat, in the middle of the car, looking straight out the windshield, over his shoulder. i imagine we will see the entire winshield, so the side tow is out, i would see the tow vehicle. i would prefer not to have him drive the car, with a bunch of lights and rigging on it, and towing a genny. the car is a prius, so it can't handle much anyway. and, i would like to get a bit more than a couple of 1200's coming in the side windows, for balance, so that the exterior doesn't get too hot. the shot is all about the dashboard and the gps, so i need good exposure inside the car as well. and i need to get the lights far enough away so that i don't see them...

but i think i may have have found the answer since my last post. i have been given the name of a guy with a camera car that can push a process trailer. i'll let you know what happens with it....

Allan Padelford may have what you need, I've worked around him and his cars for a few years now, he also has a push rig that is pushed from behind, with a steering wheel located in front of the Vehicle being pushed, the driver of the front push rigs has a steering wheel, and sits well below the front of a car. Heres a link to his web page, I hope this info helps.

Larry

http://www.apcamcars.com/

• Premium Member

These guys are nuts - I wonder if this one was really planned.

http://www.apcamcars.com/BigRigCrash.htm

Highway crash barriers are pretty well engineered but stopping an 18-wheeler in a situation where if the barrier fails you end up with 75,000 pounds of truck in your lap? I know of a case in Tennessee where a truck went right through a barrier trap on an steep Interstate downgrade, off the side of the mountain, and killed the driver.

• Premium Member
Yes that was really planned, that scene is from "The Island" I was the a camera 1st AC on it.

Larry

Brave crew! I gather that was the b camera crew standing there watching Mr. Peterbilt's best headed straight at them?