Time Code miss

Lars Zemskih

I'm using a really basic consumer miniDV as a deck, and it keeps on missing the timecode when I'm batch capturing. So I have to rewind it a little and let it search for it again and usually it find it the second time.

Is there anyway to solve the problem?

Thank you.

• Premium Member

Sounds like an alignment issue.

Does the same tape have the same problem on other cameras? If so, the camera which recorded the tape may need an overhaul.

Does the same camera have the same problem on other tapes? If so, the camera you're using for playback may need an overhaul.

Either way, there may not be much you can do. In these situations, you're best off playing the tape back on the device which recorded it.

Phil

Sounds like an alignment issue.

Does the same tape have the same problem on other cameras? If so, the camera which recorded the tape may need an overhaul.

Does the same camera have the same problem on other tapes? If so, the camera you're using for playback may need an overhaul.

Either way, there may not be much you can do. In these situations, you're best off playing the tape back on the device which recorded it.

Phil

Only this particular camera has this problem. What's an overhaul? I just don't want to use my HVX to capture tons of footage, trying to save the head.

• Premium Member

Oh, just use the HVX - the cost of having that lined up is probably not significantly different to any other consumer camera.

You could send your cheaper camera in to have its tape path realigned, but I'm cautious about the value of it. I've had now two separate problems with DV equipment (a DSR-45 VTR and a GV-D900 clamshell) which were not solved by a tape path realignment on the first try. They never quite seem to get it as close as the factory.

Phil

Oh, just use the HVX - the cost of having that lined up is probably not significantly different to any other consumer camera.

You could send your cheaper camera in to have its tape path realigned, but I'm cautious about the value of it. I've had now two separate problems with DV equipment (a DSR-45 VTR and a GV-D900 clamshell) which were not solved by a tape path realignment on the first try. They never quite seem to get it as close as the factory.

Phil

Well, I was using my old DVX once and it was a dirty tape which made a piece of the head to come off, so I had to pay for the new head which wasn't that cheap and I was out of my camera for some time, after that I told myself I will always use something else as a deck.

I'll guess I'll just be rewinding stuff. Thank you for clarifying the problem to me though.