UK TV Ad "Dyson.co.uk/testing"

Michael Lehnert

• Premium Member

Hi,

has anyone resident in the UK seen the new tv ad by Dyson ( "Dyson.co.uk/testing" ) in which the company's vacuum cleaners to seen as put to the test?

If so, is anyone aware of the production background?

That was surely shot on Super 8 Vision2, with a caring telecine done as well. Check it out, if you find some time to watch commercial breaks (hmmm.... disturbing sentence). I would love to hear what you would guess the stock might have been, 200T or 500T? That would say something about telecine quality and the reproduction of S8 aesthetics on the tv screen outside the "nostalgia stereotype".

(and then, the news broke that it was actually E-100 5285 on Super 35 in a mod'ed Konvas Kosmonaut with £2m spend in post :P )

Hi,

That was surely shot on Super 8 Vision2, with a caring telecine done as well.

(and then, the news broke that it was actually E-100 5285 on Super 35 in a mod'ed Konvas Kosmonaut with £2m spend in post :P )

Hi Michael

What gave you the idea that this was shot in Super 8 and what is a Konvas Kosmonaut ?

Best wishes

Don

• Premium Member
Hi Michael

What gave you the idea that this was shot in Super 8 and what is a Konvas Kosmonaut ?

Best wishes

Don

The textual layering of the footage and the way the grain is structured and moves seems to indicate real cine-film, not one of the myriad of video-to-film fx from post used for those Channel 4 backstage/unplugged music programmes after midnight.

The colour palette in the shots is too desaturated and has a too broad latitude to originate from reversals, like E-100 (other reversal stock would be even less likely, as the available light conditions on set and the used lighting would indicate usage of a higher speed film. That eliminates E-64 or V-50), at least without extensive color grading in post (which is nevertless a possibity, though).

It they shot it with 16mm, then grain stucture and size would be visually different, finer, more nuanced, even if you really opened up for going overboard with exposure and/or pushed it in development.

To achieve this visual impression as seen in the ad, S8 V2 sounds the most straighforward way of production.

This visual impression is also what I instinctively learned to know S8 V2 to look like from test reels and telecine sample rolls I got from Pro8mm (hmm... not enlightening) or Todd-AO in preparation of a larger-scale project that would necessitate uncompressed HD telecine.

The grain impression is coarser then I have become accostumed to recognise 7217. In respect of the lighting points I made earlier, I would assume 7218, with which I have no HD telecine experience. Also, grain on 7217 can be made to look very tight, similar to what you would expect from Normal 16 VNF, just with a V2 colour palette (which is were all the excitement about S8 is coming from over the past years)

The usage of S8 would also go hand in hand with the frivolous humour and light-hearted approach that is new to Dyson, which was very S35 glossy and technologically-minded beforehand.

As I jokingly said, it could well be shot on 5285 with a Konvas Kosmonaut (a rare Konvas in my brother's incidental ownership that was used by Kosmograd in Baikonur for rocket trajectory analysis ? any information about that camera type is highly welcome as there isn't any around ? which is why I learned to drop the name here and there to see if someone reacts to it).

hey, they might have well used an Arriflex 765, and singled out a minor fragment of the 65mm camera original for blow-up, but the seen depth-of-field and probability of such a production approach makes that rather unlikely.

Are you maybe involved with the production and just pulling my leg to find out how it is perceived by the "average audience" :D ?

Greetings to Lincolnshire,

-Michael