Super 16

Erik Horn

First off, I apologize if this topic has been made numerous times, but I searched and couldn't find much. So, I am looking into getting a super 16mm camera, most likely a krasnogorsk mod for filming many shorts and such, and i was just wondering if there is special super 16mm film stock, because i couldn't seem to find any on the internet for sale, or if you just use regular 16mm stock. If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated, and also if you had any other beginer 16mm tips. i have shot tonnes of Super 8, and really want to get into 16mm and i want to go the purchasing route as opposed to renting. thanks for your help.

-Erik

• Premium Member

Super 16 stock is simply "single perf" 16mm stock, meaning it only has sprocket holes on one side -- which is the way it is normally sold these days anyway. Single perf film has the designation "1R" on the label, and double-perf film (sprocket holes on both sides) will have the designation "2R." Double-perf is usually a special request, but it is still used by some cameras with dual registration pins like the Photosonics.

In a worst-case scenario if you got a hold of some double-perf film and put it in a super 16 camera, the extra sprocket holes would just take a "chunk" out of the top and bottom corners of the frame on one side. It would still go through the camera just fine.