Grading

Ashley Barron

Hello,

I'm a cinematographer and first time going into the grading process. I'm just wondering what the options through this process are. I know that you are able to color balance but what else can you do to the image.

I've recently become aware that you can de-interlace the footage in grading, but can you do it in the AVID editing system and if so how?

Any tips and opinions would be welcome and appreciated,

Thank you,

Ashley.

Hello,

I'm a cinematographer and first time going into the grading process. I'm just wondering what the options through this process are. I know that you are able to color balance but what else can you do to the image.

I've recently become aware that you can de-interlace the footage in grading, but can you do it in the AVID editing system and if so how?

Any tips and opinions would be welcome and appreciated,

Thank you,

Ashley.

You can colour balence, make the image brighter or darker, make selective areas of the image brighter or darker, increase colour saturation and contrast, and decrease colour saturation and contrast.

You can de-interlace in Avid, but you apply the "Fluid Film Progressive" effect. It works well, but be prepaired for long render times. Older Avids may not have this effect but the current versions including express have it in the timewarp effects folder.