Incident Light Meter

Alex Wuijts

I can't quite seem to figure out how an incident light meter translates an amount of light to a suggested f-stop and how 18% reflection relates to this. Anyone here who can straighten this out for me? By the way, I don't mean 'how do you use an incident light meter?', I'm looking for a (simplistic) technical answer and can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Very much appreciated,

Alex

It has nothing to do with reflected light. An incident reading simply tells you that to expose 'x' amount of light falling on the dome (incident light) at middle gray (18%), use 'y' f-stop.

Thanks for the quick answer, Kevin! Somehow the most simple things can be hard to grasp at times.

• Premium Member

Ok, insert 12% gray where I said 18, but for the sake of not being confusing I am still going with what most of the world uses when referring to middle gray, 18% (in spite of the ANSI standard).

If I remember correctly, gray cards are still printed in 18% gray.

In that article, he said the issue was brought up in a Digital camera forum. Is it possible that DSLR meters and 35mm SLR meters are calibrated for different grey values? Could it be that DSLR's read 12% as middle grey to save you from overexposure, preserving more information in the digital image?

Just puttin' these questions out there :)

In that article, he said the issue was brought up in a Digital camera forum. Is it possible that DSLR meters and 35mm SLR meters are calibrated for different grey values? Could it be that DSLR's read 12% as middle grey to save you from overexposure, preserving more information in the digital image?

Just puttin' these questions out there :)

That would make sense, but my Sekonic 558 cine manual mentions a Calibration Constant (K) of 12.5 as well. My 18% world is collapsing before my eyes ;)