IN-CAMERA IMAGE SETTINGS

Phillip Evanesce

Let me preface my post by saying that I do not own a video editing monitor. I own two crt computer monitors, and my video card has s-video input capability. I just can't afford one yet. My concern is that all of my footage appears flat on my computer monitor. I don't think it is the monitors, because footage from other sources looks fine. I have been very careful about exposure settings, and the images have been fine, in that respect. The problem is contrast and a bit of graininess.

So far, I have kept all of my in-camera settings at zero, because everything that I have read says that touching those settings will cause artifacts or a general degradation of the image. What I have read suggests making those corrections in post. I also keep my V-Detail set to "thin. All of my footage has been shot in 24p advanced mode, and edited in a 24p timeline, in Vegas 7.

Is this flatness inherent in the DVX, or should I correct the in-camera settings?

• Premium Member

The DVX-100 may be adding 7.5% setup to the signal when you output over S-video, or the camera's "setup" may be set to 7.5% when your monitors are calibrated for viewing 0% black material. Or, both are happening and you're getting blacks at 15%.

Does Vegas include a waveform tool? Record some color bars with your camera, then some test footage with subjects that include clipped whites, complete blacks, and properly exposed scenes to see where they fall on the waveform.

Vegas 7 does have Waveform, Vectorscope, Histogram, and RGB Parade tools, although I think you hit the nail on the head about the ire setting. I had my Master Pedestal set at 7.5%, instead of 0%. I guess that would explain the milky look. I will set it to zero and see if that solves the problem.

I did some reading on the difference in analog broadcast vs. digital settings, and I realized my mistake. Thank you for pointing that out.