Two different Joker heads/bulbs popped...

Matt Irwin

I was recently on a show where we plugged a 400 Joker (the older design) into a clear practical outlet. Five minutes after striking, the bulb popped. We replaced the bulb, and the light was plugged in elsewhere.

The next day, we were in the same place and a newer 400 Joker-Bug was plugged into that same outlet. A few minutes go by... popped again. Different head, different ballast.

If it was not a coincidence, what would cause this? Something to do with the outlet?

Wouldn't the electronic ballast shut off the the head if there was too much or too little voltage? Any ideas?

This was a covered exterior in 80ºF weather.... no "extreme" conditions.

• Premium Member
I was recently on a show where we plugged a 400 Joker (the older design) into a clear practical outlet. Five minutes after striking, the bulb popped. We replaced the bulb, and the light was plugged in elsewhere.

The next day, we were in the same place and a newer 400 Joker-Bug was plugged into that same outlet. A few minutes go by... popped again. Different head, different ballast.

If it was not a coincidence, what would cause this? Something to do with the outlet?

Wouldn't the electronic ballast shut off the the head if there was too much or too little voltage? Any ideas?

That sounds like probably a coincidence. Two different ballasts, heads and outlets is too many variables to even try and guess a common cause.

Hi,

What do you mean by popped? Is the bulb dead? Did it make any noise or did it just shutdown? Did you see any sign of arcing on the bulb pins? It is pretty unusual. My guess would also be that it is a problem with the mains electrical circuitry.

That sounds like probably a coincidence. Two different ballasts, heads and outlets is too many variables to even try and guess a common cause.

he said it was the same outlet.

I don't have an answer though, even the old design should kill it before an overload, it MUST be a coincidence, crazy though it is...

Hi,

What do you mean by popped? Is the bulb dead? Did it make any noise or did it just shutdown? Did you see any sign of arcing on the bulb pins? It is pretty unusual. My guess would also be that it is a problem with the mains electrical circuitry.

Both bulbs are blown/dead. A flash along with a small "pop." I wasn't the one that removed the bulb, so I can't say wheather there was arcing. What would it look like? Burn marks on the porcelain?

I'm guessing it was coincidence. Could be the mains power, though that seems unlikely-- it was a modern building in a public school. I don't think a plug polarity problem would cause a bulb to blow, especially with an electronic ballast between the plug and the head...? Electronics are very picky...