Hey everyone...

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here. I'm 17 and still in high school. Active member in my schools video productions and news productions. Absolutely hate doing news packages (good experience though) and love shooting short films. My passion is definitely for horror films. I'm a fan of all, from the classics, to well....some of the new ones. My favorite directors are Sam Raimi, John Carpenter, Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento, Mario Bava, Eli Roth, Rob Zombie (though Halloween sucked ass.), George Romero, Wes Craven, pretty much the bigs of the horror films haha. I'm really interested in learning new camera angles and un-orthodox sequencing and such. So any help you can give me, throw it along.

• Premium Member

A few new tools do get added every now and then. Steadicam hit the scene nearly 30 years ago and now some impressive things are being done with technocranes and the various remote heads available.

As for unorthodox editing, check out some of the early Russian films. The most famous pair is "Battleship Potemkin" and "Man With a Movie Camera." They really pioneered the editing craft (I've heard a few times that, because of raw stock shortages, they crafted films in their schools with existing footage) and did some truly brave things very early.

don't think there have been any new camera angles since around 1928... unless you count endoscopic photography.

Ha, thanks. Let me reword, interesting camera angles . Right now I'm into dutch angles and such. Just different shots rather than w/m/t. And thank you Chris. Are those films pretty easy to find or will I need to buy them offline?

• Premium Member
Right now I'm into dutch angles and such.

Dutch angles had their 15 minutes of fame in the late 90's, and I think it was 15 minutes too much!

Seriously though, it's good to experiment with all kinds of different things, whether they're good or bad. The idea is that you learn what you like and start to find your own style and taste. It seems that you're trying to explore that, which is good. Have fun and don't worry about shooting something that looks bad at first. It's the best way to learn. Experimentation is good.

• Premium Member

"Evita" is full of Dutch angles...

They are still used, but work better in extreme high or low angles due to a lack of a horizon line.

"The Third Man" is the most famous Dutch-angled movie. The early Soviet movies too.

Dutch angles first appeared in the mid 1920's, according to Barry Salt's book.

• Premium Member
don't think there have been any new camera angles since around 1928... unless you count endoscopic photography.

Ha, thanks. Let me reword, interesting camera angles . Right now I'm into dutch angles and such. Just different shots rather than w/m/t. And thank you Chris. Are those films pretty easy to find or will I need to buy them offline?

In Arkansas, you'll probably have to get them online unless you have a really good video store or have the library of a University at your disposal.