Pros and Cons of grad school

Matt Read

I'm currently working on a bachelor's degree in film at Montana State University. I'm wondering if I need to go to grad school once I've graduated. I've heard a lot of different opinions about grad school from fellow students and professors.

I curious to know what people here think of grad school. Did you go? If so, why? If not, why and what did you do instead? Would it be more and/or equally beneficial to take some courses at the Maine Workshop? If I wanted to become something other than a cinematographer (i.e. director, producer), would that affect your opinion of whether I should go to grad school or not?

Thanks a lot.

Matt Read

• Premium Member

Do you think you need it or could you go right now, fit right in and make a great PA?

You certainly don't need a masters. In all honesty you'll be up for the same PA jobs when you finish as if you went to LA right now. Then you would work up from there.

Do you think you need it or could you go right now, fit right in and make a great PA?

You certainly don't need a masters. In all honesty you'll be up for the same PA jobs when you finish as if you went to LA right now. Then you would work up from there.

I don't think it is entirely true, because in MA programs you get even more footage for your reels and portfolio and it is easier to make an award winning short, which can further put you on the map and increase you chances of getting a job or a budget for the script.

Another plus is with masters you can certainly teach in film schools (well certain film schools, not NYU of course), which gives you something to fall back to and you can develop your projects while teaching, as I know many directors do it here for example.

Do film school grads really go the PA route? I don't see how you can work your way up from PA to camera crew, unless you're assigned specifically to run and wrangle cable or something.

If you've been focusing on cinematography while getting your BA, you should already have a considerable amount of production experience. I would say, only go for your MA if you plan on becoming a teacher to support you between gigs.

But then again, if you go for your MA someplace with a lot more production than Montana, you could establish some good connections and get more work that way.