Pro Tech Expo

Matt Workman

nypte.gif

Hey,

This is super late notice but is anyone going to the ProTech Expo at Steiner NYC tommorow? I just registered with Ed and there are some really awesome demo/workshops going on.

Protech Expo

http://www.protechexpo.com/index.htm

F23/RED/4kPhantom/Cook iTech/P2 demos... :ph34r:

Let me know if you are going. I'm bringing my D80 and reporter notebook, so I'll have photos and notes I'll post on my blog etc.

Cheers,

Matt

• Premium Member

I'm on my way out the door right now. I will definitely check out your blog. Can't wait to hear Jon Fauer. Does Abel have RED cameras? I keep only hearing about OffHollywood, but I know they can't be the only ones.

What's the next Abel event in NYC?

If anyone was looking for me at the Expo Monday, I missed it because my son was sick. He was better today so I was tere at the booth.

In my official political-ease, let me say that Abel "has access to RED One cameras." And that many of the major RED One rentals in the New York area have gone through Abel for support, lenses and accessories. We are a RED-friendly house, just as we are friendly to many technologies and manufacturers.

I believe the next Abel event will be in the beginning of December when we hold a day-long seminar event with Sony for the new XDCAM EX camera. It's a real little beauty and it was a big hit at our booth. It is stunning what can be had for under $7K. When we have an official event announcement I'll forward it to Tim so that he can post it here.

What a great show, I attended both days, met tons of good people and got to play with so many cool toys. I found it interesting that it seemed more of a "Phantom" show than a RED show as both TCS and Abel had a Phantom setup. I was really glad to see TCS bringing out some of their film cameras since the digital medium seemed to dominate in the camera department and honestly even though they had a RED camera setup next to an Arricam, I was personally drooling over the Arricam and 416 more, especially the C-Motion system with the new laser range finder. I could have played with that thing for hours.

The seminars were pretty good, I attended both the ASC panel discussion on Monday and Jon Fauer's workshop the second day. The ASC panel discussion was amazing to have all those guys up there all with so much history and experience between them. I absolutely loved them debating the "means" but always coming to an absolute agreement about "the end". I forgot who said it, but they all seemed to agree that they more or less consider video/digital to be just another film stock and that it doesn't matter how you light something or what you're recording the image on, it just has to fit the individual story you're shooting. Tas Michos was great and Geoffery Erb describing the hour by hour breakdown of how he accomplished the clip they showed made my friend who's an electric cringe when he got to the "we were three hours into meal penalties" part haha.

I was a bit disappointed by Jon Fauer's workshop on the second day, but I guess there wasn't much he could do with the limited time and equipment he had. His hands on demonstration was very basic. The best part of his presentation was when he went over to the Eastern Effects booth and Chris Hayes talked to the group about the various lights and gear that were on display (and I'm not just saying that because I work for them :D ). I'm sure of Jon had a proper demonstration setup, there would be more techniques in lighting he could demonstrate.

All in all, it was great fun and you can't beat free beer and getting paid to play mini-golf :D