panasonic pv-gs320 3ccd

Crystal REVE Angeles

I am a beginner film maker, have worked on some projects with a GL2 which i love but still working on getting to know. I just got this panasonic pv-gs320 and was wondering if anyone has worked on practice projects with it?

I am mainly using it to practice on some shots and short films ..... what are some of your opinions and experiences?

Crystal

I own a PV GS-120 which is an older version of the same camera. In fact I'm shooting a music video tonight and will use the camera for some quick insert shots.

I love it, it's my secret weapon!

May i ask, if you use any filters? or different lenses?? i saw that there is certain accesories for the camera like filters, lenses ..for different effects (of course hehe)) ... but have you used it?

Crystal

• Premium Member

No, the only thing I use is something Panasonic calls "soft skin mode" and "cinema" mode.

You probably have something similiar in yours.

I also have a wide angle adapter for it and extended life battery. That's it.

I am a beginner film maker, have worked on some projects with a GL2 which i love but still working on getting to know. I just got this panasonic pv-gs320 and was wondering if anyone has worked on practice projects with it?

I am mainly using it to practice on some shots and short films ..... what are some of your opinions and experiences?

Crystal

I've played with a very similar model. The pictures are really, really impressive for such a low end camera, realy nice colour. The big problem with the current version of this camera is that they took away the microphone socket which was very, very silly.

For me there is another problem and that is that there appears to be a fair bit of barell distortion in the lens. Not as bad as on my cheap canon dv camera but still really annoying. Might not be as bad zoomed in but I didn't get to play with it long enough to experiment.

love

Freya

I've played with a very similar model. The pictures are really, really impressive for such a low end camera, realy nice colour. The big problem with the current version of this camera is that they took away the microphone socket which was very, very silly.

For me there is another problem and that is that there appears to be a fair bit of barell distortion in the lens. Not as bad as on my cheap canon dv camera but still really annoying. Might not be as bad zoomed in but I didn't get to play with it long enough to experiment.

love

Freya

In this case since the camera does not have the microphone socket, what do you guys recommend? using a external recorder??? which is more time consuming but i know worthy, or if shooting with two cameras record with the other?

Have you been stuck in this situation?? do you happen to know the "technical" name for the external recorder, which i can find online and purchase for a reasonable price?

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your time and willing to help. This is much appreciate !

Crystal

In this case since the camera does not have the microphone socket, what do you guys recommend? using a external recorder??? which is more time consuming but i know worthy, or if shooting with two cameras record with the other?

Have you been stuck in this situation?? do you happen to know the "technical" name for the external recorder, which i can find online and purchase for a reasonable price?

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your time and willing to help. This is much appreciate !

Crystal

You can make videos that don't require sound or have an asynchonous sound track or you could make music videos where the band are playing to a pre recorded song and then use the audio off the camera as a guide track and replace it with the pre recorded song. If shooting with 2 cameras then you can of course use the audio from the camera that does have a microphone input or you can use a minidisc recorder or one of those new solid state recorders but that last option is more of a pain than worthwhile (I DO know from experience, a lot of cheap video cameras have this problem and life is too short)

If you only just got this from a store, then you could take it back to the store and see if you can get the next 3ccd model down which does have a microphone socket and a headphone socket but I'm not sure what the us version would be. gs-180 maybe? I think you lose the leica lens but a lot of people claim they can't tell the difference between the panasonic branded lens and the leica one anyway! If not don't worry about it and worry about the pictures, it all depends on what you are working on anyway. I have Super 8 films I made that I am really happy with and love and they don't have any sound at all!

One of the great things about these cameras is that they are tiny but the quality of images is very high.

Have fun!

love

Freya

BTW I have used the in built microphone before and cleaned it up in post as the results from trying to cobble something together with my minidisc recorder just ended up being horrid. Probably nobody who has seen the video knows that I did this but it still annoys me.

While I think of it. ALWAYS make sure your audio is set to 16bit. Some cameras default to 12 and this will make you suffer later.

love

Freya

BTW I have used the in built microphone before and cleaned it up in post as the results from trying to cobble something together with my minidisc recorder just ended up being horrid. Probably nobody who has seen the video knows that I did this but it still annoys me.

While I think of it. ALWAYS make sure your audio is set to 16bit. Some cameras default to 12 and this will make you suffer later.

love

Freya

Thank you sooooo much freya, i appreciate your time in writing to me. I think i am going to play with it soon and ill let you know what i came out with...

Crystal (Reve)