help me identify this part

Paul Frigon

Hello

I received a rx5 yesterday, and there is this part I cant figure.

Is this an accessory ? Ive seen it on the pictures in a manual but no explanations.

Looks like its a tiny light bulb that goes right under the gate.

What is it for ? printing sound on the film ?!

Thanks for your help

post-23656-1195075567.jpg

Edited by Paul Frigon

Hello

I received a rx5 yesterday, and there is this part I cant figure.

Is this an accessory ? Ive seen it on the pictures in a manual but no explanations.

Looks like its a tiny light bulb that goes right under the gate.

What is it for ? printing sound on the film ?!

Thanks for your help

Bloop light

Its for sound yes but not optical sound no... - I dont know the exact process as I doubt I will ever have use for it (although one day I might read up on it for interests sake) but the bulb would flash a frame of film for registration later in the editing process.

It might make a interesting talking point key-ring or similar or there might be some Luddite film-maker out there who would really appreciate it (but probably has 7 of them already) - i.e. dont just throw it away !

• Premium Member
So its for sync, interesting.

Yes, it's called a bloop light. The way it works is that it's wired to a box that the sound guy has. That box outputs a tone and turns on the light when a button is pushed. The tone goes on the tape, so nobody hears it but the sound person. The light simultaneously fogs a few frames of film. This serves the same purpose as clapping sticks on a slate, but does it unobtrusively. It was used primarily for documentary work. The name "bloop" comes from what the tone sounded like when you rocked it back and forth in a synchronizer. Definitely either keep it or put it up for sale.

-- J.S.